Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

click/tick

533 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  nosox 
#1 ·
hey guys, my bike is a generic Shimano,SRSuntour and Tektro equpped mountain bike in the style many city police use.
I have an intermittant click/ tick as I ride(pedalling or not, uphill or down, smooth road or rough) that's driving me nuts and I would appreciate any input.
Here's what i've tried already.
first it went back to the bike store where i bought it for a general service.
I have cleaned and regreased the headset
I have R&R'd the brakes
The brake rotors are true
The brakes are quiet and work flawlessly.
Gear changes are smooth
Spokes are all tight
Locking out the front forks makes no difference
The seat is quiet

Thanks

#2 ·
Are your water bottle cage bolts tight even if there's no cage on em?
Derailleur hanger bolt... Hmmm... what else.
My Stumpjumper has had a tick in the frame since I've had it. Funny thing is the original frame was an 08. It would tick from the front of the frame. I had the fork checked out and it was fine. I swapped the headset from the Cane Creek one that came with the bike to a CC 110. Then I cracked the frame under the bottom bracket. They warranteed the frame and gave me an 09. I swapped all the parts over and guess what? This frame ticks.
I swapped out the adjustable shim stem with a Loaded Components and the bike has had a few different handlebars on it. Sound is still there. Now I just live with it.

#3 ·
ya everythings tight,also.. the wheel bearings have no discenrable play. only getting the sound when I ride, on the stand or upside down its perfect. I bought the bike here in Indonesia. The store is really helpful but when the mechanic went for a test drive, its impossible to hear whats happening in town cuz traffic.
I can tell the headset is a cheapy from the bearings. Maybe like you, I'l end up living with it.
thanx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.