mtbr member
    Apr 2008

... and if we just ... Cleaning and lubing your chain

How often do you clean and lube your chain?
    I picked up a bottle of White Lightning (self cleaning wax lubricant), but it says to degrease the chain before applying. LBS guy told me this is all I need.

..quite rightly
    Never clean it.
    After each dry, dirty ride, I run a line of Bar & Chain oil down the rollers, work it in a moment, then wipe down with a dry cloth. I use a Powerlink so I can do this off the bike (optional). My chains easily last 1K miles w/o stretch, but they look quite gunky. It doesn't matter.
    The wax lube is instructing you to remove all non-wax lube prior to using it, to answer your question. I've tried wax lubes, and the chains didn't last. YMMV.

mtbr member
    There is the argument for not cleaning but I have found after a while maybe 3-4 months I will take the chain off and cassette and clean them in a can of gas. I do the same as Velo except I drop the chain into chain saw bar oil. In between cleaning I use the Dupont Teflon Dry Wax lube which seems to be pretty decent. I have used white lightening but I think the Dupont with teflon is the way to go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    If I wanted to use the White Lightning should I degrease the whole chain? I'd like to use it just for an experience. I have a full bottle.

AZ
    banned
    Degrease before using White Lightning , Simple Green works well .

mtbr member
    Simple Green rocks.
    Check out some great MTB gear @ www.evomo.com

Rider and Wrench
    I think chain cleaning really comes down to the rider and where they ride. I know some guys that NEVER clean their chains and other's that clean it after every ride and every where in between.

For me it depends on how long the bike will sit and if there was alot of grit or sand on the trails. I am over the top and hate to hear the grit when I do a preride check so I keep my chains very clean and use a wet type lube (prolink- Pedros..)-To me I hate to overlook damage or not be able to ride because my bike is not ready to go. My Cassettes, chain rings, derailleur jocky wheels etc... last for long time. Wax is ok for non sloppy stuff but does tend to build up over time so you may need to degrease here and there-

To each their own though
    I Just wish I could ride more!

There's no app for this.

Plan B...

remove chain at powerlink, cassette too if you want, and put both through the dishwashing cycle, being careful to keep parts contained so they don't fall into the food grinder thingy.

You'll have a new drive train you can then lub any way you wish.I don't do it often, but after a year or so of hard riding, things get dirty and I cant' get the fine grit out any other way.

Plan C, like borregokid said, take a used plastic container & throw in the chain/cassette, and with Simple Green, gasoline, varsol, or whatever solvent, put the lid on and shake, let soak, rinse, repeat.

Jim

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I think I need to turn my tv room into a bike work area.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I clean my bike after every ride as there are 3 water crossings and sand on my route. Anything that's wet is a magnet for sand and a recipe for pre-mature wear.

I never remove the chain when I clean. I mix 50% simple green and 50% water then brush the chain, cassette, chainrings, and derailleur pulleys. I let it sit for 5 minutes then brush with soap and water. I then wash it off. I wipe dry with rag and apply Pedro's Dry Wax. I let it sit for a while and apply dry wax again then wipe excess. I've used White Lightning with success but if you spill on tire it is hard to clean up.

Removing the chain would be best but am too lazy to do that. Cleaning it regularly and using lubricant that doesn't attract dirt IMO saves me from breaking the chain, connecting it again and threading it back. However, be careful not to saturate the cassette as the degreaser will work its way inside the bearings and dilute the grease. I had one rear wheel toasted because of this.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I use 2 chains. I clean with solvent, then spray with Boshield. After a ride brush off the dirt thenchange the the chain every 100 or so miles. occassionally apply a little more boshield

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I use straight dish soap and a stiff brush on the chain when I'm washing the bike.

When I just want to lube the chain I run a wire brush against it for quite a few turns first. I take the edge of a chisel to the teeth too, to scrape off crud. After doing this I use chain wax from a motorcycle shop. A huge can is $9.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    I clean/lube mine every 4-8 rides. Can't stand having dirt and sand making noise in my drivetrain.. plus I find cleaning the drivetrain regularly tends to solve a lot of little problems that pop up after rides.

I use a spin doctor ($10), Finish Line Krytech wax lube, and Finish Line citrus degreaser (amazing stuff). I just run the chain backwards through the chain cleaner for a minute or so, wipe it all off with a rag, let it dry for a minute or two, then lube it up. Then I use the same rag to clean the cassette, just insert the rag surface in between the cassette parts and spin, repeat x 9.

Tip: don't use too much lube. A little is really enough, more will only attract more dust and dirt.