mtbr member
    May 2004

Chinese Market Dahon Matrix

Haven't owned a bike since 2004, but decided to get a Chinese Dahon Matrix (2013 version). I know the specs aren't all that, but I thought it was reasonably priced and I'm planning on taking it around Asia with me. My concern, however, is the strength of the frame. I'm 6'1 215 and with a pack I'm pretty much at the weight limit. Hopefully the frame holds up!

DAHON Bikes ??:*XRA643

I'd like to kit it out for street/hill (paved) use. Any suggestions on what I should pick up or change? I'll ride it as is for a while since I want to see how good the components are and if I really need to change anything.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'm loving this bike. It's great for urban riding here in Hong Kong and comfortable even with the fork locked out. I got it tuned up for all of $12 and the guy did a great job. The folding part is great for getting it into taxi trunks too. I've added the essentials that are required by law (lights and a bell) and I have a 450mm seatpost and CatEye computer on the way!

Unfortunately, I now want a Trek 3900 Disc too. I'm heading to India tonight (sans bike). I may pick up one of the old Raleigh-style roadsters there and keep it at my home in Mumbai just for neighborhood jaunts.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Chinese Market Dahon Matrix-dahon-jay.jpg

I was absolutely hauling ass on my bike last night, and noticed some derailleur adjustment is needed--took a while for my rear gears to switch over at high speed. Still, the bike rides very well and very comfortably. Got me a wired cycle computer and a new helmet; I haven't worn a helmet yet because my old one was too old, but now it's time to ride safe again!