mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Is changing the stem a common thing to do?

I guess we're always looking for something to make our ride better and for the perfect fit right?

mtbr member
    yes. That's why stems come in different lengths.
    Changing your stem may involve some compromise between handling and fit; something to be aware of.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules
    yes. That's why stems come in different lengths.
    Changing your stem may involve some compromise between handling and fit; something to be aware of.

Ditto.

Don't be afraid to try different stems to find the handling and fit that you prefer

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    Ditto.

Don't be afraid to try different stems to find the handling and fit that you prefer
    thanks guys.
    if i go to my lbs, i guess just keep swapping out stems to find the right one?
    would they help me in that way?
    i found a nice selection of stems on pricepoint but i would even know where to begin.

It's about showing up.

Yes!

It is all a part of finding your best position on the bike. also it is important to understand that your best position on the bike can change with a change in skills, power, and riding style.

A caveat. It is important to ride each stem for several rides to become accustomed to what it does for you. A few minutes on a stem does little but confuse you as it will only reveal how weird it feels compared to what you have already ridden. Be patient with this. feel thee out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike
    It is all a part of finding your best position on the bike. also it is important to understand that your best position on the bike can change with a change in skills, power, and riding style.

A caveat. It is important to ride each stem for several rides to become accustomed to what it does for you. A few minutes on a stem does little but confuse you as it will only reveal how weird it feels compared to what you have already ridden. Be patient with this. feel thee out.
    Yes! Changing stem is like sliding your saddle on it's rails as well as moving saddle up and down.

I also agree it may take a full ride to get used to a new position and get over the initial awkwardness