mtb junkie

New question here. chain rub,please advice.

hello everybody and excuse me if i post this in the wrong section. i have a trek fuel ex 9.so far so good. one day when i was out riding a hill (up) my chain fall from the lower chainring on the frame BB. rigt where the weld starts. it has "eaten" some of the welding approx 1mm DEPTH . (i was only spining the crank 2 full turn..) so: do you thing this will be a problem? a future crack could apear? should i smooth the affected area with some sandpaper?

the chain made damage right where it touches the frame in this picture: http://mtb198.oneninety8llc.netdna-c...racket-red.jpg
    Last edited by null; 05-05-2011 at 02:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Is the frame aluminum or carbon? If it is aluminum it probably is not a big deal. If you are really concerned go take it to a Trek dealer and have them inspect it. If you posted pics it would also help to determine how bad it is.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

No good in rock gardens..
    I doubt that one incident like that will kill your frame. What I do, is wrap a few layers of tape over that area, or stretch a section of inner tube over there, so that if the chain falls like that it won't eat into the paint or metalwork.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtb junkie
    i will post a picture soon.yes i already wrap it with inner tubes and zip ties. it's aluminium. thanks guys.