mtbr member

C'dale Rush 5z or Specialized FSRxc Expert?

I am planning on upgrading to my first full suspension bike soon and these are the 2 I am thinking about. Both are in the $1700 range.
    All of my bikes so far have been Specialized, and the FSRxc Expert looks like a great bike.
    But the Cannondale Rush 5z is about the same price and looks like it may have the better fork and rear shock.
    I know the Rush comes in at 29 lbs. How much does the FSRxc weigh? I still need to test ride both, but can I get some opinions on these? I do mostly 12 and 24 hour racing, with a little bit of XC and short track thrown in.
    Last edited by Trail Snail; 03-23-2008 at 09:13 AM.

Under New Management
    I tried both and went with the 5z. Besides the better spec fork and shock, you get more travel and its "Made in the USA" which may or may not be important to you.

The Rush is Cannondales' marathon bike, which is right up your alley.

I absolutely love it, I'm so glad I made the choice that I did!!

Best of luck to you.

Legend
    Nov 2004
    The specialized will weigh less almost positively. I'd go with the Specialized based solely on how little my friends have to maintain all of their Specialized stuff vs all the maintenance my Cannondale friends experience.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CdaleRush5z
    I tried both and went with the 5z. Besides the better spec fork and shock, you get more travel and its "Made in the USA" which may or may not be important to you.

The Rush is Cannondales' marathon bike, which is right up your alley.

I absolutely love it, I'm so glad I made the choice that I did!!

Best of luck to you.
    How long have you had your 5z? Any issues with it so far? I agree, the extra travel is nice. I am leaning towards the Rush.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ettore
    The specialized will weigh less almost positively. I'd go with the Specialized based solely on how little my friends have to maintain all of their Specialized stuff vs all the maintenance my Cannondale friends experience.
    My current bike is Specialized Stumpjumper HT. It is really well made. But my wife has a Cannondale Prophet and it is also well made. She has not had any problems with it at all so far.

Under New Management
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Snail
    How long have you had your 5z? Any issues with it so far? I agree, the extra travel is nice. I am leaning towards the Rush.
    Not very long, maybe a little over a month or so, and it is still winter up here so I've honestly done no epic rides or anything but have had it long enough to know that I'm very happy with it.

Also, as far as ettore's comments about maint.... It's a single pivot = less maintenance, which if your wife has a Prophet then I'm sure you know. The weight is 29 lbs which is about the same as the FSR. Like I said, I looked hard at both.