Thread: Carbon frames

Bike Geek

Carbon frames

I have 0 experience with carbon frames & totally confused about comments about them but i've been itchin' to get one for quite some time now. I don't know exactly what to ask about them aside from "are they durable?" & "are they worth their price?".

To make things short, i need people to persuade or dissuade me from buying a carbon frame.

I'm a 175 lb XC/trail rider, no jumps & drops above 2 feet but i'm fairly aggressive on rough trails. I like technical trails, going fast & a semi-weight weenie. I take good care of my bikes but i try not to "baby" them.

Oh, by the way, i'm interested in either the On-one Whippet or the Niner Carbon Air9. Yeah, i know, one's a 26" & the other's a 29'er. It's because if ever i decide to push through with buying a carbon frame, it's either i upgrade my current 26" XC rig or build a new 29'er HT.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    love my IBIS MOJO CARBON.. if you like CF like i do then its a no brainer..
    good luck

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    not afraid of my carbon tallboy. love it.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by nordstern1
    I have 0 experience with carbon frames & totally confused about comments about them but i've been itchin' to get one for quite some time now. I don't know exactly what to ask about them aside from "are they durable?" & "are they worth their price?".

To make things short, i need people to persuade or dissuade me from buying a carbon frame.

I'm a 175 lb XC/trail rider, no jumps & drops above 2 feet but i'm fairly aggressive on rough trails. I like technical trails, going fast & a semi-weight weenie. I take good care of my bikes but i try not to "baby" them.

Oh, by the way, i'm interested in either the On-one Whippet or the Niner Carbon Air9. Yeah, i know, one's a 26" & the other's a 29'er. It's because if ever i decide to push through with buying a carbon frame, it's either i upgrade my current 26" XC rig or build a new 29'er HT.
    It's going to be tough if you buy a brand new frame not to baby them, they are nice and shinny but once you are over that it's just like any other frame they have their own pros and con, dos and don'ts. My first mountain bike was a carbon fiber the Cannondale Raven, loved it. It's seen it's fair share of crashes as I didn't know any better the frame held up ok. Now I'm on Mojo, and Blur LTC no problems as well.

I have enjoyed carbon equipments from my previous sport golf, badminton, tennis ect, they are light, strong and perform better than other materials. Carbon shaft on a golf club are much stronger than steel and more durable as well. I kept smashing an old full carbon driver trying to break it, it took some serious punishment to get the job done, it was so easy to ding a titanium or aluminum. With that experience I've never doubt the carbon, just try to use the right tool for the right job.