mtbr member
    Mar 2013

New question here. Carbon Frame vs Extra Suspension - New Bike Choices

I am looking heavily at 2 new bikes. the RMB Altitude 70 and RMB Element 70 MSL.

They type of trails I ride are very technical single track with lots of climbing and flat, very rocky and rooty (not smooth at all).

I am debating the value of the carbon frame vs the extra suspension and an aluminum frame?

Thanks guys!

psycho cyclo addict
    My .02

I prefer metal frames (aluminum or steel) on technical rocky/rooty trails.

At just under 200 lbs., a lighter carbon frame is a small overall % weight change in my case and I would not consider it unless I were trying to make the podium as a sandbagging clydesdale

I have no qualms about dumping metal frame bikes on rocks if necessary... not so for carbon. I am also concerned about rocks hitting the frame at just the right angle to cause problems.

Carbon frame stiffness will be an advantage in terms of power transfer from the pedals as compared to metal but again, unless you are a serious racer, I don't think it will be a significant improvement worth pursuing for something you want to ride on rocky technical trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Carbon Frame vs Extra Suspension - New Bike Choices

Bump it. I have the same exact question. Low end tallboy ltc or higher end components n alum. Same deal with an enduro

mtbr member
    You know, there are a lot of variables to this. To me full suspension buys a guy two things. Comfort on varied terrain and added stability when going fast. Carbon buys a guy a few things. Usually much lighter weight and if designed right, a very performance oriented ride.

I haven't had a full suspension bike in a while, but there are plenty of times that I wish I still did have one. Usually it isn't during an up-hill section... mostly whenever I am going fast over varied terrain. It sounds to me like an XC-type full-sus is the way you are leaning.
    - The only thing that keeps me on a bike is happiness.