mtbr member

Carbon Chip question

Should i be worried?
    I have sanded it down and took a strip of paint off past the original chip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    That is definitely more than cosmetic. I would take it in to a dealer to get inspected. It might be okay, but you don't want to mess around with carbon because it can fail catastrophically without warning.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    That is definitely more than cosmetic. I would take it in to a dealer to get inspected. It might be okay, but you don't want to mess around with carbon because it can fail catastrophically without warning.
    Yeah, i asked the dealer but they said it was ok. Ill go straight to SantaCruz.
    Maybe they can help.
    The frustrating thing is that when i bring up warranty, yheir answer is essentially the same.
    Not under warranty, because you rode the bike therfore it was abused.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by LaloKera View Post
    The frustrating thing is that when i bring up warranty, yheir answer is essentially the same.
    Why would that be warranty? Did it chip just riding along (warranty), or did it hit something (not warranty)?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phreeky View Post
    Why would that be warranty? Did it chip just riding along (warranty), or did it hit something (not warranty)?
    Well it was hit by some rock or pebble
    That might have taken out some carbon.
    On some tame fire trail. I did not crash.

Not sure if frame is compromised, that is why i am asking.
    If it is, i believe it should be covered.
    This is a pretty expensive bike for a pebble strike to take it out.

Warranty or not, i just want to know if it is safe to ride.

mtbr member
    IMO:
    Frame is OK. If OK, your asking for warranty coverage on cosmetic damage caused by and accident, which generally won't be covered. "Pebble strike" is an accident.
    Damage like that caused by an accident generally is not covered, though some mfgrs might offer a discount on a new frame out of goodwill. Having a good LBS that's your advocate with the manufacturer can help.
    Pebbles are agnostic and will damage cheap and expensive bikes alike. This is perhaps the best reason for buying a less expensive bike; less acrimony, tears and money when damaged or taken out.
    Finally, it's a tool, not a jewel.
    Do the math.

wanna ride bikes?
    not sure why you think that's a warranty issue? It's not a manufacturer defect or design problem which would be the only reason for a warranty. rocks happen, it's a risk you take when you buy a carbon frame.

you may however qualify for a crash replacement if they offer one? otherwise you can buy a carbon repair kit, or send it out for repair. IMO that looks a little scary, i wouldn't want to ride it.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

"Fully rigid" isn't a thing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    IMO:
    Frame is OK. If OK, your asking for warranty coverage on cosmetic damage caused by and accident, which generally won't be covered. "Pebble strike" is an accident.
    Damage like that caused by an accident generally is not covered, though some mfgrs might offer a discount on a new frame out of goodwill. Having a good LBS that's your advocate with the manufacturer can help.
    Pebbles are agnostic and will damage cheap and expensive bikes alike. This is perhaps the best reason for buying a less expensive bike; less acrimony, tears and money when damaged or taken out.
    Finally, it's a tool, not a jewel.
    Well actually, my main concern is if it looks like the carbon has been compromised. If its just cosmetic, then im totally fine with it. Has tons of chips on other spots. Just that this one looks deeper than the others.

Now, if it does fail because of this or it is compromised, then yes i probably would at least be trying to get it warrantied. Who wouldnt?

My last bike was a department store bike. Bought in 2003 for $250. I dont think it has a chip on it. Just a bunch of scratches.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    A reasonable person wouldn't. Damage that is due to something other than a manufacturing defect is not really ever covered under warranty. How would it not be covered now but then damage from your rock impact would then be covered later? You would probably be able to get it repaired for cheap right now though before it breaks more.

Well actually, my main concern is if it looks like the carbon has been compromised. If its just cosmetic, then im totally fine with it. Has tons of chips on other spots. Just that this one looks deeper than the others.

Now, if it does fail because of this or it is compromised, then yes i probably would at least be trying to get it warrantied. Who wouldnt?

My last bike was a department store bike. Bought in 2003 for $250. I dont think it has a chip on it. Just a bunch of scratches.

Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeopleForScience View Post
    A reasonable person wouldn't. Damage that is due to something other than a manufacturing defect is not really ever covered under warranty. How would it not be covered now but then damage from your rock impact would then be covered later? You would probably be able to get it repaired for cheap right now though before it breaks more.
    I should at least get the discounted swingarm which is in their crash replacement clause. Just need SC to give me an official word on wether is safe to ride it or not. Will go from there.

mtbr member
    Your slamming a rock into the frame is not a manufacturing defect! They will likely give you a crash replacement deal. It is an expensive bike because it has been engineered for top-level racing, not everyday riding.
    2008 BMC Fourstroke 19-559 ISO (RIP in peace)
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_joe View Post
    Your slamming a rock into the frame is not a manufacturing defect! They will likely give you a crash replacement deal. It is an expensive bike because it has been engineered for top-level racing, not everyday riding.
    Was.sold to me as a all day adventure bike, not a top level racing bike.
    My safety is my main concern.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Carbon can be fixed! Places like Calfee can make it good as new. I would contact Santa Cruz about it.
    I broke a blur.
    Are you the original owner-Nope.
    Did you crash it- Yes I did.
    HHHmmm, what size do you need- XL black.
    Okay we will send you out one- Thanks.
    Santa Cruz for life

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    Carbon can be fixed! Places like Calfee can make it good as new. I would contact Santa Cruz about it.
    I broke a blur.
    Are you the original owner-Nope.
    Did you crash it- Yes I did.
    HHHmmm, what size do you need- XL black.
    Okay we will send you out one- Thanks.
    Santa Cruz for life
    Good for you!
    That sure would entice me to stay with SC.

Picture Unrelated
    Your photos aren't clear enough but it does appear that there is some fiber damage and therefore the frame is compromised. Now if it's safe to ride or not is a totally different question; it could be safe for a while or it could be safe up until a certain load is reached but it's very hard to know. The best answer is from the company who controls the amount of money you might be out. If they'll crash replace it now but not later, it's best to get it taken care of. If they'll crash replace it once you break it (this risks bodily harm) then you might be able to wait it out a while. No matter what, it appears that there is frame damage which compromises the frame strength to an unknown (and mostly unknowable) degree.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    it could be safe for a while or it could be safe up until a certain load is reached but it's very hard to know.

Thats exactly what im worried about.

Breaking at an unexpected time can mean great bodily injury or death. Even if will cost me, would rather feel safe a confident to ride whatever.

Picture Unrelated
    it could be safe for a while or it could be safe up until a certain load is reached but it's very hard to know.

Thats exactly what im worried about.

Breaking at an unexpected time can mean great bodily injury or death. Even if will cost me, would rather feel safe a confident to ride whatever.

My job is composite engineer so if it were me, with my knowledge about what to look for and keep an eye on, I would ride that bike until you hear back about a crash replacement option. I can't suggest anyone else do it but I could probably give some suggestions on what to look for if you were curious. As it sits there, it looks pretty fine to ride.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

I have to agree that I would ride it until you can get it replaced. I would still get it fixed or replaced ASAP.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Next time you can seal it with ca glue. You probably did more damage to the frame than the rock chip did.

Magically Delicious
    A rock cracked the windshield on my car. Should the dealer warranty replace it?
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    If the dealer sells u a windshield that is 3 times the cost of a regular windshield and twice as strong according to them.
    Plus they say it has damage warranty.

The answer is Yes.

mtbr member
    I would put a thick layer of clearcoat over the sanded area to stop further chipping.

Magically Delicious
    If the dealer sells u a windshield that is 3 times the cost of a regular windshield and twice as strong according to them.

The answer is Yes.
    I don't see any part of induced damage as a manufacturing defect that should be replaceable as a warranty item. Discounted crash replacement...YES.

Your flawed logic is part of the problem.

mtbr member
    But, but, but... they sales man told me carbon was strong now... LMAO
    2008 BMC Fourstroke 19-559 ISO (RIP in peace)
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

mtbr member
    I don't see any part of induced damage as a manufacturing defect that should be replaceable as a warranty item. Discounted crash replacement...YES.

Your flawed logic is part of the problem.
    Well i didnt say i would be getting it for free now did i.

My original post was asking if my frame was compromised, not if i should be getting a free replacement.

Magically Delicious
    Not sure if frame is compromised, that is why i am asking.
    If it is, i believe it should be covered.
    Now, if it does fail because of this or it is compromised, then yes i probably would at least be trying to get it warrantied.
    Well i didnt say i would be getting it for free now did i.

My original post was asking if my frame was compromised, not if i should be getting a free replacement.
    You're correct about asking in your ORIGINAL post about the frame being compromised.

Then in the following posts you made multiple references to getting it warrantied. Warranty is FREE REPLACEMENT.

Back to flawed logic and a failure to recall what you've already stated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

The answer is Yes.

To be fair, I would put money down that it was not advertised to be twice as strong in "impact damage" at least as far as carbon fiber and you are twisting words here to try and make your point.

mtbr member
    You're correct about asking in your ORIGINAL post about the frame being compromised.

Then in the following posts you made multiple references to getting it warrantied. Warranty is FREE REPLACEMENT.

Back to flawed logic and a failure to recall what you've already stated.
    Keep reading. I essentialy took my words back. Plus i was a bit upset and confused at the time.

Ill stop throwing that word around.

In my defense, i did state somewhere that i am willing to pay for replacement part.
    Safety is my main concern.

Magically Delicious
    The bottom line is you suffered collateral damage to your bike and that is always an unfortunate thing that we prefer to just not happen.

From a personal observation, I suspect that your damage will not compromise the integrity, but you might wish to solicit the opinion of someone who can expand on that observation from a more professional perspective.

If a discounted crash replacement is offered, and I think it should be, it still might not be inexpensive. Is that your swingarm?

mtbr member
    The bottom line is you suffered collateral damage to your bike and that is always an unfortunate thing that we prefer to just not happen.

From a personal observation, I suspect that your damage will not compromise the integrity, but you might wish to solicit the opinion of someone who can expand on that observation from a more professional perspective.

If a discounted crash replacement is offered, and I think it should be, it still might not be inexpensive. Is that your swingarm?
    Yes, that is my swing arm.

To be fair, SC has offered me a discounted brand new frame.
    That swing arm is no longer available.

Magically Delicious
    What is model is your bike?

mtbr member
    What is model is your bike?

Magically Delicious
    Good luck in finding resolve...whatever that might be.

If you elect to take the discounted frame option and as a note of experience when dealing with Santa Cruz, if you have the frame shipped to your home, you will be charged shipping and to return your damaged frame. I'm not sure if this only applies to warranty claims, but If you make arrangements with a Santa Cruz dealer (LBS) to receive and send your damaged frame back, you might not have to cover any shipping costs. Something to question if this would apply to discounted frame replacement.

Your new frame will not come with anything other than a frame. No fitted headset or nothing. You'll be on your own to swap all components. It might come with a new seat post clamp, but that will be all. If you're comfortable with doing all of your own component swap outs, you're golden. If you need some assistance, that will be at your expense. Or, if you're good with component swaps, but just need the LBS to extract and re-install your headset cups, that's inexpensive.

It could be a great deal on a current year model frame though!

Safe Journeys!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Why haven't you taken up their replacement offer? Is the discount not worthwhile?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post
    Why haven't you taken up their replacement offer? Is the discount not worthwhile?
    Because of what clear2land mentioned above. Plus im looking into repair

mtbr member
    Good luck in finding resolve...whatever that might be.

If you elect to take the discounted frame option and as a note of experience when dealing with Santa Cruz, if you have the frame shipped to your home, you will be charged shipping and to return your damaged frame. I'm not sure if this only applies to warranty claims, but If you make arrangements with a Santa Cruz dealer (LBS) to receive and send your damaged frame back, you might not have to cover any shipping costs. Something to question if this would apply to discounted frame replacement.

Your new frame will not come with anything other than a frame. No fitted headset or nothing. You'll be on your own to swap all components. It might come with a new seat post clamp, but that will be all. If you're comfortable with doing all of your own component swap outs, you're golden. If you need some assistance, that will be at your expense. Or, if you're good with component swaps, but just need the LBS to extract and re-install your headset cups, that's inexpensive.

It could be a great deal on a current year model frame though!

Safe Journeys!
    Did not mention boost axle spacing.
    Rear wheel will not fit. Plus i need to use the 125mm rear shock and i thought the new frame is 130mm rear.
    According to SC will work just fine.

If i decide to do it.
    I would probably see if i can drive down to Santa Cruz and do the swap in person. Don't see why not.

I feel a headache coming on...

If your close to santa cruz drive it down to calfee and have them fix it for under $200. They will even color match the paint. It will be good as new.

Magically Delicious
    Did not mention boost axle spacing.
    Rear wheel will not fit. Plus i need to use the 125mm rear shock and i thought the new frame is 130mm rear.
    According to SC will work just fine.

If i decide to do it.
    I would probably see if i can drive down to Santa Cruz and do the swap in person. Don't see why not.

I feel a headache coming on...
    Ok, you'll need a new rear wheel and maybe a new shock. There are opportunities to sell your old rear wheel and the shock to subsidize the new stuff. That's workable.

To Santa Cruz for an in person swap...think about this for a moment.

To accomplish this, you'll first have to strip your bike of ALL components including the headset cups. Everything that you remove from your old frame should be well organized to manageably facilitate correctly reinstalling them seamlessly back on to your new frame. Unless you're completely comfortable with this, you might think twice.

My suggestion might be to have two bike stands (not always practical) and move a component, or group of components from the old frame to the new frame. It's methodical process that aids in eliminating confusion on how a part or fastener connects from old to new. This step by step process helps to avoid problems for those who might not be completely comfortable with stripping the old bike of all of its components and having to reinstall correctly on the new one by memory.

Don't think of this as a giant task. Break it down to component level and compartmentalize each task individually by component. Front fork, Wheels, stem and handlebars, drivetrain...you get the point.

My objective is simply to get you to think about the steps involved with whatever method you plan to take.

mtbr member
    Ok, you'll need a new rear wheel and maybe a new shock. There are opportunities to sell your old rear wheel and the shock to subsidize the new stuff. That's workable.

To Santa Cruz for an in person swap...think about this for a moment.

To accomplish this, you'll first have to strip your bike of ALL components including the headset cups. Everything that you remove from your old frame should be well organized to manageably facilitate correctly reinstalling them seamlessly back on to your new frame. Unless you're completely comfortable with this, you might think twice.

My suggestion might be to have two bike stands (not always practical) and move a component, or group of components from the old frame to the new frame. It's methodical process that aids in eliminating confusion on how a part or fastener connects from old to new. This step by step process helps to avoid problems for those who might not be completely comfortable with stripping the old bike of all of its components and having to reinstall correctly on the new one by memory.

Don't think of this as a giant task. Break it down to component level and compartmentalize each task individually by component. Front fork, Wheels, stem and handlebars, drivetrain...you get the point.

My objective is simply to get you to think about the steps involved with whatever method you plan to take.
    Im pretty sure i can handle most tasks but never remmoved or installed a headset cup.

Any links to instructions would be appreciated.

I wonder how hard it is to sell one Mavic rear wheel. Probably harder than other brands i imagine. Very propriatery components.