mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Carbon 456 or Kinesis xc130?

Hi all,

I'm hoping to source knowledge and opinion from you on selection of frame for my new bike build project over the off season.. My budget for a frame is circa 300 and I've narrowed down my search to a couple of frames, although I'd listen to alternatives.

Where I ride is intermediate level trails, with a bit of XC and DH potential. Quite alot of tight technical stuff too. Varying terrain with plenty of rough hard surfaces, and steep hills, both up and down. I figure I want something (hardtail only) light but strong, with lots of pedal power, that also is comfortable and fun to ride. I'm over 6' but not too heavy at 80kg/12+ stone.

I've done a fair amount of research over the last few weeks and I think I've narrowed down my favoured choices to

On-One Carbon 456 for 300
    On-One Carbon 456 Frame
    OR

kinesis xc130 for 280
    Kinesis Maxlight XC130 Frame 2011 K ML 130 42 G : Bikes | Mountain Bikes | Road Bikes| Winstanleys Cycles

Slightly more expensive but available on a decent finance deal is a BMC TE01 for 650 in total
    BMC Teamelite TE01 2011 Frameset | Evans Cycles

I am keen to know what people think of these frames at these prices, and I am also open to suggested alternatives.

Thanks for reading and I appreciate your opinion and help

Ged

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by gc5446 View Post
    Hi all,

I'm hoping to source knowledge and opinion from you on selection of frame for my new bike build project over the off season.. My budget for a frame is circa 300 and I've narrowed down my search to a couple of frames, although I'd listen to alternatives.

Where I ride is intermediate level trails, with a bit of XC and DH potential. Quite alot of tight technical stuff too. Varying terrain with plenty of rough hard surfaces, and steep hills, both up and down. I figure I want something (hardtail only) light but strong, with lots of pedal power, that also is comfortable and fun to ride. I'm over 6' but not too heavy at 80kg/12+ stone.

I've done a fair amount of research over the last few weeks and I think I've narrowed down my favoured choices to

On-One Carbon 456 for 300
    On-One Carbon 456 Frame
    OR

kinesis xc130 for 280
    Kinesis Maxlight XC130 Frame 2011 K ML 130 42 G : Bikes | Mountain Bikes | Road Bikes| Winstanleys Cycles

Slightly more expensive but available on a decent finance deal is a BMC TE01 for 650 in total
    BMC Teamelite TE01 2011 Frameset | Evans Cycles

I am keen to know what people think of these frames at these prices, and I am also open to suggested alternatives.

Thanks for reading and I appreciate your opinion and help

Ged
    I used to work for On-One and rode a Carbon 456 for a year. It was my go-to bike for most rides, even preferring it over the Titus carbon FTM. More fun, just as capable. Highly recommend using a dropper seat post.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I used to work for On-One and rode a Carbon 456 for a year. It was my go-to bike for most rides, even preferring it over the Titus carbon FTM. More fun, just as capable. Highly recommend using a dropper seat post.
    Thanks for the reply, I'm interested to know how you feel it handles climbs? I much prefer the look of the 456 but the xc130 is sounding better in the technicals from what I read