mtbr member

Cannondale Rush 5 Lefty or Commencal Super 4 Team??

Hi!

I posted this thread some time ago.. Stumpy, Epic, Cube Sting...? help please!

I ride a Stumpjumper FSR, but wouldl like to find a bike better suited for some XC marathon races and for climbing (I love climbs! ).
    First I was thinking of an Epic, but I guess I would lose a lot on downhill performance.

Now I ran into these two bikes:
    http://gb.cannondale.com/bikes/09/ce/model-9VM5L.html and
    http://www.commencal.com/news/bicycl...r4_team_en.htm

what do you think?
    could anybody compare these two bikes?

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

avoid the Cdale

I would avoid the cannondale if you do any traveling with your bike. a lot of bike shops dont carry the parts or have the know how to work on cannondales as they use a lot of different ideas for their bikes. say you crash you can have a lot of trouble getting a new front wheel or other parts. the commencals are a nice boutique but you might want to expand your search to some other bikes.i hate to steer people away from a USA made product but cannondales are only good if their is a cannondale shop nearby. I know treks are a popular bike but their new designs just perform awesome. also santa cruz and other compainies make some great bikes.

mtbr member
    Thanks!
    There is a Cannondale shop where I live. And I am thinking of mostly European companies (except C'dale) since SC and similar ones are expensive like sh.t here in Europe! I was thinking Trek, but Fuel EX seems to be the same class with my Stumpy (120 mm), and Top Fuel is only 100 mm front and rear.
    That is why I am thinking od Super 4 and Rush. They are somewhere inbetween 100 and 120 mm if that means anything...

mtbr member
    Anybody tried the new 2010 Commencal Super 4?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I had an Epic Comp 2008 - had it stolen just after the alu models were discontinued. I loved the bike, really miss it. I replaced it with an '09 Commencal Super 4.2. Now it's not nearly the same bike, but it sounds very much like what you want. On the flat or the tarmac I preferred the Epic, which had sharper steering and better acceleration. For everything else I prefer the Super 4. The fully active traction means it climbs much better on the loose, steep local trails I use. Same thing with the descents - the fully active part means that I fly down where on the Epic I was a bit more timid.

A couple of things I'd change include the Reba fork (the Epic's Fox F100 was much nicer in my opinion, even without the pushloc I have now) and probably a shorter stem - the Super 4 is stretched out and this gave me slight neck problems. Might try a slightly higher riser with a shorter stem and see how that works out.

Doesn't stop me drooling over the 2010 alu Epic, mind...

mtbr member
    What year is your FSR?

So I ride a 2007 Rush 4 with Lefty. My question is why do you want to replace your FSR with a bike with slightly less travel.

The Stumpy should be the jack of all trades trail bike. It was a more sophisticated rear suspension design than the Rush (single pivot) and can climb and descend very well. The key to the Marathon bike is to handle very well, but comfortable and relaxed enough that you can run for hours.

I love my Rush. It handles superbly. The Lefty is so light and accurate that it makes up for the slack 69* HA. Yet very stable when you get up there in speed. The closest feel of a conventional fork I've found is with a Fox 140mm RLC with 15mm through bolt. The single pivot rear will give up some to the multi-bar setup. However, I like to feel what the terrain is like, not hide it. Again, a personal choice.

mtbr member
    I have a 08 FSR

And why thinking of replacing it? I was hoping to find something faster, but not less capable in descents... Maybe I'm just trying to find something that does not exist