mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Cannondale Lexi 2 or Scott Contessa Spark 900?

I've finally come to terms that I'll be spending some money to get what I want in a bike, and done a bit of research and came to these 2 bikes. I know there's a huge difference in the fact that one is a 26, and one is a 29er. I'm only 5'5", and do mostly XC or All-mountain riding. I can't seem to find any reviews on either one, anyone have any personal and/or secondhand experience with either of these?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Is there a reason you're focusing on female specific bikes? Just curious.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by speckledtrout View Post
    Is there a reason you're focusing on female specific bikes? Just curious.
    No real reason other than the fact that I am a female. I was also considering the men's spark 950 or 940, but I liked the components of the women's better. Also looked at the RZ one twenty (men's version of the Lexi) and liked the Lexi better for similar reasons. I've got a decent hook-up for either cannondale and Scott, which made me stray towards those 2 brands. Any suggestions men's or women's I'll take into consideration, I'm not really fully focusing on women's, just those are the 2 I liked best this far during my research.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Clarification: I like the components of the women's spark better than the men's 950, and the price of the women's better than the 940

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Did you get the Spark or the Lexi??? My wife is considering the Lexi and I would love feedback on it. Thanks
    itís always complicated, so enjoy the ride

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Ended up getting the Lexi 2, mainly due to the 26" wheel size. Got it in a week or so ago, so only taken it out on 2 rides, but absolutely love it so far. I tried it out on a couple of hiking trails with lots of roots, rocks, etc., and rode it on some easy/flat gravel trails. Handled well, and the feel was great, climbed well, and charged downhill. I'd say it's a great all-around bike, looking forward to trying it out on some single-track in the near future. The size ran a little smaller than I expected, I ended up getting a medium even though I'm only 5'5".

mtbr member
    I was thinking the Lexi might work for my wife, but she's short and the "petite" model has a pretty big standover at 28.7" compared to say a Giant Trance XW at 27.2". She could could barely tippy-toe over the top tube. Seems like a major fail by the Cannondale designers for a XS woman's bike. Then the top tube length is actually less than the Giant. Anyways, surprised you ended up on the medium at 5'4" (my wife is 5'0").

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I was very surprised I ended up going with the medium as well. I only have about a 28 in. inseam (and the medium is a 29.9 standover). So, if you/she likes the bike other than that dimension, I would recommend finding a shop with it and trying it out. I don't think the dimensions do the bike justice.