mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Cannondale F-500 Cad-2. Head shok. Pad brakes. Paid $200

Hello: New to the forum. Excited to be here.

So I picked up a Cannondale F-500 off craigslist for $200. Local bike shop tech told me I got a great deal on it, bike blue book says its worth like $300

Here is my question...take a look at what I got, lets say hypothetically I had $1000ish would it be better to upgrade components in this bike (shok, brakes, tubeless tires?? etc) or sell this easily recoup my money and put into another bike recommended by my local bike shop for a similar price range? Or just be happy with this and ride it till it breaks.

My riding style is trails, not a lot of steep here in my part of Virginia More technical. Probably ride 1-2 days a weekCannondale F-500 Cad-2. Head shok. Pad brakes. Paid 0-cannondale-f-500.jpg
    Last edited by Trey Fevaa; 04-21-2013 at 06:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Cool-blue Rhythm

So i been reading more on my own and it sounds like the best plan is to ride the hell out of this bike and save for something when my skill level increases. By then I will be much more knowledgeable anyway...sound like good advice to myself?

Please someone give me an educated opinion!
    Last edited by Trey Fevaa; 04-21-2013 at 06:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    New brake pads and tires could be a worthwhile expenditure, I certainly wouldn't put $1000 into it. Ride it until you want something else.

mtbr member
    I would save your hard earned greenbacks for something new and up to date once you decide to build / buy another worthy steed.

Use this as a thrasher, and ride the dog piss out of it. Enjoy it for what it is!
    Rigs:
    Specialized Rockhopper HT
    Trek 6500 HT
    Trek 3700 Disc HT (The son's)

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Actually road this today on some single track...thing handled well and I think I will be using to learn on this season and look to make a purchase at the end of the year (closeouts on this years models in the fall = epic deals!!)

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by Trey Fevaa View Post
    Actually road this today on some single track...thing handled well and I think I will be using to learn on this season and look to make a purchase at the end of the year (closeouts on this years models in the fall = epic deals!!)
    That's a good plan. That F-500 will serve you well as an entry level bike. Keep it tuned, learn to wrench yourself if possible. the tires look suitable for off road riding if they're not rotted. Only replace them if/when they wear down. Your actual skill level will hold you back much more than that bike ever will.

While that is a fine entry level bike, I wouldn't look to hang a bunch of new parts on it because it doesn't have disc brake capability and it would not be feasible to make it so it would, but those v-brakes will do you fine until it's time for a new bike. Happy riding!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    This bike handled very well today. Only person I ran into on the trail was stoked on it! First thing he said to me was "sweet bike !" haha. He couldn't believe I only paid $200.

Anyway it preformed well for me as the park I went to today was the most difficult riding I have done to date.