Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Can someone identify what Bike Model this is? Fuji Roubaix Brand

8K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  shyy 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I received a free Fuji Roubaix bike frame and was wondering if someone knew what model and year it is. I plan to learn how to put a bike together so it will be also helpful if someone can name all the essential parts I need for a bike. The bike says Pro Series but looking at the current bikes a Pro model would say Roubaix Pro.

I own a New York Langster and I know this frame alone costs more than my bike.

Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks so much guys!

2004 model and it still looks brand new :)

Question: Would I be able to buy all the parts listed in the current Roubaix website and put into this one? Or the frame is totally different and can only use the parts listed in that website http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?ItemID=30984&Type=bike

Sizes 49cm, 52cm, 54cm, 56cm, 58cm, 61cm
Color(s) Fuji Red/White
Main frame Fuji Altair 2 custom butted aluminum with PowerDiamond down tube, Integrated head tube, Double water bottle mounts
Rear triangle Fuji carbon seat stays, Fuji Altair 2 aluminum chain stays, Fuji forged road dropout with replaceable derailleur hanger.
Fork FC-770 Fuji Bonded Carbon Integrated w/ 1 1/8" Alloy Steerer
Crankset FSA Gossamer Compact MegaExo w/ Integrated spindle, 34/50T 7075 AL outer rings
Bottom bracket FSA MegaExo Exterior Bearing System
Pedals Nil
Front derailleur Shimano Tiagra, 31.8mm
Rear derailleur Shimano 105
Shifters Shimano Tiagra shifter/brake, 18-speed Flight Deck compatible
Cassette Sunrace CSR94-9AQ, 11-25T 9-speed
Chain KMC HG-73
Wheelset Alex ALX- 200, 700c clincher
Tires Continental UltraSport, 700 x 23c
Tubes CST presta
Brake set Tektro R-350 dual pivot
Brake levers Shimano Tiagra STI
Headset Tange IS-24 1 1/8" Integrated Road
Handlebar Fuji UltraLite 6061 Double Butted, 31.8mm w/Anatomical drops
Stem Fuji PRO Alloy 3D forged, +/-7 degree
Tape/grip Fuji custom cork wrap
Saddle Fuji UltraLite Racing
Seat post Fuji PRO Forged Alloy, 300mm
Seat clamp Fuji Superlite Alloy, 31.8mm Laser Etched
Other 7075 alloy water bottle bolts
Weight, lb./kg. 23.67/10.74

#6 ·
A lot of people who start out with a frame already have parts off another bike that they are taking parts off of. You generally cant buy the parts from a manufacturer. If you are looking to build the bike on a budget you need to figure out which parts you need and find them cheap, typically off Ebay in a process that can take months. A quicker way would be to buy all the parts in a build kit from either Jenson Usa or Price Point. Here is an example of a build kit from Jenson that is $1200 which get you back to the price of the bike when it was new although the components are probably a little higher.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/build_kit/customize.aspx?bk=83

#7 ·
:shocked:

Ummm, bike parts are fairly standardized, but there are different sizes. The big things you are going to need to know are the bottom bracket size, seatpost and seat collar size (if you are planning to change the ones that are there), and front derailleur type and size. See an above post for most of this information.

Once you have the sizes you can go pick basically any components you want (in that size).

You don't have to follow the stock build by any stretch of the imagination.

I'd recommend you get a good book on bike building/maintenance, spend a lot of time at places like parktools.com and Sheldon Brown's website, or work closely with your bike shop though.

#11 ·
CougarTrek said:
What are you looking for in a bike?

You just jumped from a road racing frame to a manufacturer that produces primarily Fixies and track bikes...

Also you might want to try forums.roadbikereview.com since it appears you are looking at road bikes, not mountain bikes.
To be honest, I know nothing about bikes, I still confuse single speed with fixed gear. I kinda want to go with gears this time since I already have a fixie. I lean towards road bike more. I know this frame is made for road/triathlon

I also tried a 56cm today and I believe I can ride it, just uncomfortable in the beginning because I would have to practically hop up to start riding.

#12 ·
Well, IRO's won't work since they don't have derailleur hangers (at least the majority of them don't) which means you can't use gears. I bet most of them have track spacing for the rear wheel rather than road spacing which may or may not be a big deal if you want a single speed/fixie, but would be a huge deal if you wanted to get a rear cassette on it.

If you "have to practically hop up to start riding" the bike is FAR FAR FAR too big for you.

I highly recommend you go to your local bike shop(s) and let them help you pick out a complete bike that will both fit you and suit your riding needs. It doesn't sound like you are ready to be building from scratch or selecting a frame only and get fit correct at this point.

Also, if you give us (or the folks at roadbikereview) some idea of how you want to ride the bike we can help you pick a style. And there is more to road bikes than "road bike" (race, performance, touring, track, triathlon, crit/time trial, etc.) The Fuji for instance is NOT a Triathlon bike as you suggest (you could ride it in a Tri, but that's not what it is).

#13 ·
I actually own a New York Langster 52cm and rode it about 8miles (don't laugh)

The reason why I want to start this project is because I want to learn more about bikes, how to fix them and build them. I recenly went to a bike shop during lunch and tried a 56cm and it is big but as a I sat on it, it felt just like any other bikes.

I'm thinking of getting the bike kit for the fixie (around 199) try it and in the future upgrade it to gear (maybe Shimano 105). I'm also most likely will give this bike to my brother who is 5'11 - 5'12.

Its just that I got this frame for free and don't want to give it up lol or at least not yet. If I decide not to build the bike I will just give back the frame. The frame alone costs more than my $750 bike :(

Thanks for the quick reply

#14 ·
If you are talking about the Fuji you are going to have a hard time getting it to work with a strictly "fixie" build.

1) It does not have a horizontal, or similar, dropout where chain tension can be adjusted by adjusting the distance to the rear wheel.

This can be a huge problem and is either going to involve huge amounts of luck and $$$ switching out gear combos until you get one that works "just so" without adjusting the rear wheel OR some sort of chain tensioner. Not sure I'd go the chain tensioner route with a fixie...too much riding on your chain.

2) A fixie build kit may well have track hubs rather than road hubs. That means their width will be different from the spacing on the rear of the bike.

IMO, It doesn't matter how good of a deal you got on the bike. If it doesn't fit it doesn't fit. Not only will riding be unpleasant you can hurt yourself. Just because you can sit on it at the LBS does not mean it fits (I can sit on some 17" frames...I NEED a 14"...and then there's the fact that all 56cm bikes are not built to fit the same...). The frame is nice, but if it doesn't fit you or your purposes (a fixie it is not...) then it's worthless. It's certainly not worth more as a frame only than your $750 bike....completely built with 105/Tiagra that frame retails for 1300 (check Fuji's website).

I'll reiterate. Go find a good maintenance book (online or in print) and spend some (a lot) of time reading it. If you don't your going to make hundreds of dollars in mistakes with parts sizes and compatibilities (not to mention some of the tools you need) and end up with a bike in the end that is not what you wanted.

#15 ·
Thanks CougarTrek,

At the bike shop they recommended me the Shimano 105.

I am thinking of buying that and build it for my brother.

You have any books you could recommend?

CougarTrek said:
If you are talking about the Fuji you are going to have a hard time getting it to work with a strictly "fixie" build.

1) It does not have a horizontal, or similar, dropout where chain tension can be adjusted by adjusting the distance to the rear wheel.

This can be a huge problem and is either going to involve huge amounts of luck and $$$ switching out gear combos until you get one that works "just so" without adjusting the rear wheel OR some sort of chain tensioner. Not sure I'd go the chain tensioner route with a fixie...too much riding on your chain.

2) A fixie build kit may well have track hubs rather than road hubs. That means their width will be different from the spacing on the rear of the bike.

IMO, It doesn't matter how good of a deal you got on the bike. If it doesn't fit it doesn't fit. Not only will riding be unpleasant you can hurt yourself. Just because you can sit on it at the LBS does not mean it fits (I can sit on some 17" frames...I NEED a 14"...and then there's the fact that all 56cm bikes are not built to fit the same...). The frame is nice, but if it doesn't fit you or your purposes (a fixie it is not...) then it's worthless. It's certainly not worth more as a frame only than your $750 bike....completely built with 105/Tiagra that frame retails for 1300 (check Fuji's website).

I'll reiterate. Go find a good maintenance book (online or in print) and spend some (a lot) of time reading it. If you don't your going to make hundreds of dollars in mistakes with parts sizes and compatibilities (not to mention some of the tools you need) and end up with a bike in the end that is not what you wanted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.