inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

can I move my shifter/brake lever over?

I got some Crank Brothers Iodine lock on grips. the plugs cannot reach all the opening in my handlebars. I was wondering if there would be any repercussions in moving both my break lever and shifter slightly inward. I'm rather new to all of this, and thought I would get some advice before fiddling with my bike. thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    No. The brake and shifter are put in that place for a specific reason. I would not mess with it unless you want to break the handlebar and cause a singularity to form and suck in the bike. Careful scientific measurement was done to find the ideal place to put them. Please don't screw that up.

j/k. Move them in as much as you need.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    thanks. I didn't see the last sentence until I scrolled my screen down. well played.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    well, that was very frustrating. The plastic plugs that lock the handlebar broke while putting them in. I feel like I wasted a good bit of time. oh well, I learned a little I suppose. still -$20

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    The Crank Bros. plastic is brittle. Maybe try some ODI lock-ons?

Picture Unrelated
    While you're moving things around might as well go ahead and set up your levers properly. Angle them downward so that you don't have to bend your wrists to use your brake levers and make sure they're far enough away from your grips so you can pull your brake levers using one or two fingers right in the bend at the end of the lever.

I would also switch to ODI lock ons, they're some of the best out there.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?