mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Can a good hard tail frame be had for under $400??

Actually I wouldn't mind going cheaper but I'm looking to replace my 08 C'dale F5 frame which I converted into a ss, for another frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Only hardtails I am familiar with is the GT Avalanche 3.0 and the Fuji Nevada 1.9D. The Fuji was just over $400 and the GT was on sale just under $500. I love both of these bikes. The 1.9 without disc brakes is around $370 and I know that GT has some V-brake models for under $400

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I would really like a steel custom frame but I believe I would be looking at 1500 and up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Anybody had any experiences with the Soma harddtail frames? I've seen a steel frame on tree fort for under 500.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Cambria bike often has good deals on frames.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

The link above for Planet X is a great place to start. Look at on-one. They have the inbred (steel) and the scandal (aluminum) for under $300 and are great frames. All of these frames can be had 26" or 29" wheels and geared or single speed. The scandal is no longer being produced but is being replaced by the Parkwood (also aluminum and under $300, but designed around 120mm forks). I have an inbred 29er and couldn't be happier for what I paid for the frame. Depending on where you live, searching craigslist might be an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcvoy90 View Post
    The link above for Planet X is a great place to start. Look at on-one. They have the inbred (steel) and the scandal (aluminum) for under $300 and are great frames. All of these frames can be had 26" or 29" wheels and geared or single speed. The scandal is no longer being produced but is being replaced by the Parkwood (also aluminum and under $300, but designed around 120mm forks). I have an inbred 29er and couldn't be happier for what I paid for the frame. Depending on where you live, searching craigslist might be an option.

Who makes On-One?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Quote Originally Posted by roc865 View Post
    Who makes On-One?
    On-one/Planet X/Titus is it's own brand, designed in the U.K. Check out http://www.on-one.co.uk

There is a distributor in the US out of Oregon. The US site is the website that was given a few posts ago. There is also a forum on mtbr for on-one.

I am in no way associated with them, but I have been very pleased with my inbred and I have met another guy in my area with the same frame and loves his too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    While Custom is not an option if you want steel for under 400 you can likely find something just have to look hard. If you can raise your budget to say 500 than I would look between a Surly karate Monkey and the Soma Juice you mentioned.

I am ssuming you are looking for 29" HT

Other option is to scour ebay and other sites from something like used SIR 9. The only steel bike I have in the quiver right now is a Civilian Luddite it was cheap but I am happy with the frame. They were doing some startup type of project on their new frame at a reasonable prices recently but I havent followed the details. You might be able to find a redline mono9 on ebay as well.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by HEMIjer View Post
    While Custom is not an option if you want steel for under 400 you can likely find something just have to look hard. If you can raise your budget to say 500 than I would look between a Surly karate Monkey and the Soma Juice you mentioned.

I am ssuming you are looking for 29" HT

Other option is to scour ebay and other sites from something like used SIR 9. The only steel bike I have in the quiver right now is a Civilian Luddite it was cheap but I am happy with the frame. They were doing some startup type of project on their new frame at a reasonable prices recently but I havent followed the details. You might be able to find a redline mono9 on ebay as well.
    I think I can come up a little to $500. I've looked at the Soma and thought about picking one up but wasn't sure. Just curious why you assumed I was looking for a 29" frame?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    roc, assumption was based on what happens to be most common in the HT area for the moment. Not too many manufactors making 26" hardtails and even more limited when you are shopping for steel, I havent looked Hard at 27.5' wheel HTs yet, have some friends that are real happy with their 27.5 FS though.

Good luck with wahtever you decide ride it hard ride often and you'll have fun on your new bike and that is all that matters!

EDIT: saw you other post on the Soma Analog I dont know much about it but looks like a good option. well know highly reputable company, s seat stays, 27.2 seatpost, room for hgih voume tires, looks like a winner. A lot of good felxible seatpost options in the 27.2 as well.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Soma's are good frames. They spec frame-size specific tubing for their frames so they aren't overbuilt for small riders or noodly for big ones. I think they're a great option for the money. They also sell them through any bike shop with a Merry Sales wholesale account if you want to go that route. (like Salsa and Surly via QBP)

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'm sure eBay is filled with good frames for less than $400. If you're not in a hurry I'd say troll eBay to see what's out there.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5

Ride Everything
    Check out Soul Cycles. They often have cosmetic blem frames for great prices.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    On One is really hard to beat at this price point. The frames are well designed, not the generic off-the-rack geometry you usually find on "entry level" hard tails.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by roc865 View Post
    Actually I wouldn't mind going cheaper but I'm looking to replace my 08 C'dale F5 frame which I converted into a ss, for another frame.
    chinese carbon hardtails run about 450 shipped.

mtbr member
    +1 vote on On One. For the price, you can't go wrong. The Surly 1X1 is a nice frame as well and already set up for SS.

Universal Cycles -- Surly 1 x 1 Frameset - Black

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    I'm sure eBay is filled with good frames for less than $400. If you're not in a hurry I'd say troll eBay to see what's out there.
    Second this. It is how I ended up with an Independent Fab for $550 that was built for a guy my height, torso length, and weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD so please forgive the typos that occur when typing with two fingers.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

Epic eater
    Oct 2005
    I'm not sure what is considered a 'good' frame, but for a hardtail 29er I've bought 2 Giant Talons which are surprisingly nice setup bikes, and ofcourse can be gutted/upgraded at will...$300 for a whole bike gives you a frame and a box of parts to sell/trade, etc.

hardcore
    Jul 2010
    on-one frames are nice but lack removable hanger.
    also try rczbikeshop.com.. their own brand of frames is rather nice. also they have daily sales for various frames.. sign up to their newsletter.
    sometimes they have trek frames, scapin, torpado and so on.

FKA Malibu412
    In aluminum, the Airborne Goblin. $250 new and comes with warranty. I've got 500 miles riding and racing one this summer. Not a harsh ride for Al and is durable.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams