mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Caldera vs Hoss d-lux

I'm new to the scene, and lookin for a bike XC but leaning toward the AM side of the spectrum. I want to climb and xc and be comfortable, but I also want to be able to drop off sum stuff and be ruff on a bike without worries of breaking sumthin. Ive been researchin for the last week or so reading reviews and goin to forums. These bikes get pretty good reviews I think it may be what Im lookin for, and my LBS can get Kona. Im thinkin of the Cladera but will it be able to hold up, maybe with a fork upgrade, or go with the Hoss but im concerned with weight also. Does anyone know the weight of the two bikes i couldnt find it on konas site.
    Im 5'10 180lbs want to be able to ride everything, of course im a beginner so im not goin to be on anything to crazy for a while, and I want to stay under $1000. Im open for suggestions but most interested in Kona as of now.

ride hard take risks
    I would go with the Kona tryed & true suspension set up to handle many conditions from climbing to decending & even throw down some 3 footers for fun. You dont need a Hoss, save your mony for beter components versus a over built frame. I'm 180 & ride the standard frames with no problem. When you get to 250 start looking at the Hoss.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

go Caldera...

At your weight and budget I would say the Caldera would be your best choice in the Kona line. The framesets are pretty beefy and should hold up fine to small drops. You'll likely tweak a rim before the frame gives you any trouble. I don't know if I would sink a pile of dough into a better fork. It's almost never the better financial move to upgrade parts but instead go out on the limb and get the better outfitted model. Leverage the bike companies buying power on better components. The only way I would do an after purchase upgrade is to find a killer deal off ebay. I would definately make sure you can get a test ride on the Caldera or a similar Kona before you buy it. Sometimes a shop will extend a satisfaction guarantee or give you full value on an trade-in/upgrade if your not thrilled with a special order bike. Good luck with whatever you decide. For your budget I would stay with a burly hardtail as you'll get the better components than a full suspension bike.
    Try to pick out anything by itself and you find it connected to the entire universe.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    thanks for the help so far guys, good to know i was on the right track with what i need and want

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I tested the Hoss, and I am a 35 YO, 6'1.5" and 210#. I don't think you need the Hoss at your weight. The bike was exceptional, but on the north side of my budget. If you want to test the Caldera, and it isn't available try the Cinder Cone as it is very similar. You made great choices now get fitted.

ride hard take risks
    Another ripper is the Ibex Atlas, it's over your budget a tad but well worth it.

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ATLAS-SPT-Details.html

Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    thanks guys, im in the dominican republic, punta cana, right now on vacation when i get back im goin to save up sum cash and go with the kona if i like the fit thanks for all the help again