mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Cadd3 Frame Brand New -Whats Next??

I just found a brand new 1998 58cm cadd3 frame, flat black w/yellow lettering just great looking. Now I need everthing and know little,I do want a Flat Bar-700 X32 tires, but gearing , 10 -21-24 speed which one(I do not use a ton of gears) I want V brakes , .But everthing else is up in the air??? If you guys can help me with these items at least I can go towards that direction, I want to keep it light(frame is 3 lbs.) Front fork could be Carbon to save weight? But what is the Headstock size? What is the gear sizing? Maybe I should go with 26" tires instead?? Do I sound confused or WHAT!! LOL!! Any way anything will help me in my quest for the Lightest Dream Bike I can make? Also this bike is a 58cm and I am 5'9" someone told me it was too big? In which case I think I need to sell my "LONG SOUGHT AFTER" frame OH NO!!! HELP ME PLEASE! Thanks in advance Guys
    legendzzz is online now Edit/Delete Message

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Ok- wait. First off - this should be moved to the Cannondale Forum.

Second off - a picture speaks a bazillion words here.

Assuming you're talking about a CAAD3 MTB frame, not Road (Which is why you mentioned the v-brakes - road frames won't have brake mounts for v-brakes/cantis) - 98 CAAD3 MTB frames didn't have Disc mounts in the rear. I have seen people put 700c wheels on newer CAAD frames, but they were using Disc MTB hubs and disc brakes.

You're wanting to run v-brakes, on 700c road rims, with a cross-type tire? Not likely to happen unless you find some sort of brake relocator adapters - I think I've seen em before, but I could be mistaken on the application. Otherwise I don't think that the pads on the V's would ever hit the rim in the proper braking area.

If it is a CAAD3 frame that was built for a normal fork - then it is a 1 1/8" steertube. If it is a headshok frame, then you'll need an adapter headset like the Cane Creek Double XC ( I happen to have a lightly used one I might be willing to sell)

The other thing is that Cannondale typically measured their MTB frames in Inches back in those days. Headshok MTB frames were measured s/m/l. The measurement sticker on the seatube might have had CM in ( ) - but typically the Roadbikes are the only ones that were only measured in typical roadbike measuring schemes (eg 58cm)