mtbr member
    Jan 2013

C-Dale Rush kaput, bum warranty replacement

It seems the Rush frame has some weaknesses. Lucky for me, they have surfaced after seven years of fabulous riding. Unlucky for me, the cracks in the frame, at the rear shock mount facing the head tube, have arrived mere months after investing 20 benjamins into upgrading a frame I ignorantly believed would LAST.

My choice for warranty replacement is a white and green Rize 120. I have one choice. My Rush was brilliant Red (2006 Rush 800) and after I had it upgraded I actually loved the thing. It was beautiful. I am not a nuts and bolts rider. I like how my rig greets the eye. Are any of you different?

I wonder, am I stuck with the Rize 120? It seems if its a warranty replacement then I'd have the same level of replacement. Its ugly and inferior to the frame I bought.

I wouldn't mind purchasing a new frame from any manufacturer but since I have a Lefty fork, I feel like Cannondale is the only place to go for a replacement. Are there other frames that accommodate the Lefty?

T.W.O.
    First of all you can get the adapter to use lefty with other brands. I don't think that Rize 120 is any worse than Rush. For a couple of bills and a bit of effort, you can get you ride any color you want.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Right. Thanks for the head's up on the adapter, but I am still concerned with frames engineered by Cannondale being optimal with the Lefty, and other brands not being so. So, I'm wondering, what frames work well with the Lefty?

Also, I just went on the Cannondale website and discovered they don't even offer an aggressive ride in the 26" range. It's all market hype and 29". No wonder they are having trouble finding warranty replacements for old Rush bikes. They cut the 26" line by making the 26" wheels exclusively the realm of hardtails. My LBS told me today "they" as in Cannondale, had to strip a Rize frame to fulfill a warranty on a Rush frame. If they aren't making Rizes anymore, that's why I don't have a choice on color for my warranty replacement and why they are stripping remnant stock to fulfill warranty claims. It's whatever they can find and of course it is the green and white.

ughh

AZ
    banned
    Be happy you can get any replacement. As far as frames suitable for lefty's, a search thru the many lefty threads will give you some valuable insight.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    Be happy you can get any replacement. As far as frames suitable for lefty's, a search thru the many lefty threads will give you some valuable insight.
    This^^^
    I waited 3 months for my cannondale frame warranty, so if you can get one right away, take it and run

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    My LBS says it might be possible to deal with Cannondale by putting the Rush frame down as credit towards an upgrade.

Also, the cracks are hairline and I'm curious if anyone out there has persisted with such cracks in their riding. I can't imagine the frame blowing up on me, but of course it depends on how I ride it. I'm aggressive but I don't do drops or take big hits. This sounds a little dumb, because in my head there is a voice saying "it's cracked, what do you expect to happen?" So, overall, I can just see the cracks at this point undermining the confidence I have in the machine. And that's actually quite a big deal. I am frustrated mostly because this is my fault. I upgraded the bike. I expected aluminum to be durable. Now that I'm looking into this, I'm finding aluminum frames are quasi-durable. Some might last forever, others not so much. It seems steel is the only type that has true durability, but I'm sure there are many advocates out there for each frame material. It appears that in mountain biking each thing is really a consumable. And I should look at things this way.

Thanks for the comments. I might be screwed anyway because I seem to have only my layaway receipt which Cannondale might not accept. Also, unlike (from what I've heard) Trek and Specialized, Cannondale has a LIMITED lifetime warranty so its up to their judgement whether they replace the frame or not. Will see. Glad I still have my '94 Cannondale hard tail. But I guess I better inspect the frame...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Back in they old days, cannondale would spray the warrenty frames in the coulor of the customers bike, partly ofcourse because that way it would still match the forks that used o be painted in that coulor !

I would not play would bikes that have front end damage, rember it might hurt lol

But surely between the 2013-2014 collection there would be something that would rock ur boat ?!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Now that I am getting over my sour grapes, I've looked into the Rize and it sounds great. The Cannondale rep has been great with my LBS, so that's good. C-Dale doesn't seem to think there is a crack, but that is because the pic my LBS showed them doesn't show enough detail, only flaking paint. But the paint is flaking because the stress causing the cracks is causing it to do so. The cracks are barely noticeable! But they are there. I know what you say about not wanting to play around with bikes that have front end damage, but again I wonder how long I could ride the bike with such small cracks.

mtbr member
    I had a hardtail that had some hairline cracks where the seatstay was welded to the seattube. Only way to know for sure if they were just finish cracks was to remove the paint and check the weld, and they were just finish cracks.