mtbr member
    Apr 2011

!Buying a Jamis Dakar XLT 3.0 HELP!

Thanks in advance for the replies...

Ok, I am considering purchasing a 2005 Jamis Dakar XLT 3.0 from a guy off craigslist for 1100$ ( i will likely talk him down or trade my bike + a bit more cash). He said that he has ridden this bike in colorado and utah (perhaps a bad thing considering the abuse a bike can take in utah) about 4 times a month (summer) since 2007. The new chainstay has been put on the bike and the front fork is now a Fox Talas. he also said he just replaced the bottom bracket seals and rear shock from fox. I'm checking the bike out tomorow, here are my questions.

I am in santa fe new mexico and currently ride a stock 08 Red Line D460 HT which is in mint condition and love it on the aggressive mountain trails. The bike itself requires very little maintenance and i like that, exactly what kind of yearly maintenance costs might i be incuring if i switch to the Jamis? Examples would be great!

I was thinking of trading my bike + say about 350$ for his bike. The Jamis was constructed in 2007 but is this a good deal? I know the bike was originally $3,000 retail BUT it is 5 years old.

What should i look for in the frame/bike that might be damaged or need replacing? Any good give aways of abuse or neglect? The guy said he is a bike tech and took good care of it, but i know a few car mechs and trust me, they dont take care of their cars for sh*t....

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Have you looked at Jenson.com? You can buy a brand new Dakar from Jenson for that same price. For example, here's an XCT 2.0:

http://jensonusa.com/store/product/B...0+Bike+09.aspx

mtbr member
    Double post. Sorry.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for the reply, i have looked on that site, however the seller might be interested in doing a trade for my current bike which would be far cheaper than something new... also, i need a 19" frame and there are not many on jenson... i was more concerned with the maintenance questions and the price he is asking...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I sold my XLT last fall for $450, It was an 05 XLT 2 with a brand new Minute fork and was in good used shape. In the east thats about what used bikes go for. That said, I rode the bike a lot in 5 years and only did regular maintenance, it as bombproof. Maybe a little heavy.
    $1100 sounds high.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for the reply, and I agree with you that it is steep, he said that it's the original tapas fork and that the rear cluster was replaced with newer xt hardware, the cranks are badly worn and the handle bars are oxidizing?? The shifters are beat up pretty bad too, it shifts recently I feel but could be better. Asside from that it felt great and I offered 850. I feel that's fair.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Corections:

Talas fork*
    shifts decently*

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I believe the higher the # the better the components? I had the XLT 2 and it had XT on it with a Minute 3 with handlebar lockout and a Swinger 3? rear shock. I bought the bike basically new in '06 for $800, it had maybe 3 or 4 rides on it. It listed for $2200. Unless the bike is mint I wouldnt pay more than $500. Have you tired selling yours first? Then you can buy whatever you want.