mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Buying a bike for the GF

Hey guys. First thanks for the responses and taking your time to read another "size/What to buy" thread.

So I have finally convinced my FiancÚ to start mountain biking with me but she needs a bike. She is 5'6 with a 33" inseam and a 28" reach (measured that from the middle of her shoulder to her finger tips). I was curious what you guys thought her size would be.

Next I'm looking to spend about 500$ on it. I'm not 100% sure she will like biking with me and I don't want to spend a ton to have the bike sit in the garage.... I was thinking that I would like to buy it at a LBS but if I can get her something much nicer online I'm not opposed to that. Anyways let me know what you guys think! Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I hope she gets passionate about it and you have to upgrade it later, like mine did. The LBS can help you with sizing as it depends somewhat on specific frame.

For that price you are looking at a hardtail, I would try to get something with at least disc brakes. I also would not worry about it being women specific. That is just my opinion.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Go to your LBS, try some bikes. Find the ones that fit her, and make a note of the make/model/size. Go home, check online and get the TT measurements, SA and HA of those bikes along with component spec. Look at online bikes and used bikes, decide if the benefits of buying a bike from the LBS outweigh the better specs of an online/used bike.