mtbr member
    Oct 2013

BUY 2007 S Works Epic Disc or new Trek

Hello mtbr members. Love the experiences here. I have found a 2007 S works Epic Disc with rear Brain shock and front Fox FC100. All shifters, derailleurs, brakes & rotors are XTR. Mavic CrossMax SL-R rims w Panaracer FireXCPro rubbers. Soooo mtbr members would you buy the S-works or a newer Trek full suspension. The Max budget is $1800?
    Attachment 839192Attachment 839195BUY 2007 S Works Epic Disc or new Trek-img_5299.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BUY 2007 S Works Epic Disc or new Trek-img_5306.jpg  

BUY 2007 S Works Epic Disc or new Trek-img_5298.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    My concern would be the availability of parts/service for the rear brain shock on the Epic. With an $1800 budget, I'd look for something more current.

mtbr member
    What sort of riding will you be doing?
    How much is the Epic?
    Do you want 26",650b,29" wheels?

T.W.O.
    Get a new Trek. That epic sucks, unless of course you are a racer then you just have to suck it up Even the brain shock of today still pretty bad the brain shock of that era was not a winner. Very laggie. I owned 2 different S-Work epic hated it.

The Fastest of Bananas
    If its a good price, go for the Epic. Lots of quality parts there, worst case scenario, you hate the frame, sell it and get a different frame. You still have a fox fork and XTR group.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBanana View Post
    If its a good price, go for the Epic. Lots of quality parts there, worst case scenario, you hate the frame, sell it and get a different frame. You still have a fox fork and XTR group.
    That's the worst idea ever You can buy that XTR groupo for cheap nowadays brand new. Buy the bike you want, don't worry so much about the components level as long as you have good frame then go from there.

The Fastest of Bananas
    ^Where?^ Seriously, I would love to pick some up.

Its only a bad idea if you have a ton of expendable income. Personally, I cant afford to go out and upgrade everything on a bike with new parts, new Fox forks are 600 and up, I gotta get a deal.

His budget is 1800. If he were to pay, say 1100 for the Epic, he would come out just fine. That sure beats paying 1100 for just a frame, and then 2000 building it out.

Personally, a new 1800 dollar bike is just nice enough to suck to spend money upgrading, but not nice enough to not need to upgrade anything.

But what do I know, I'm still on 26"ers. Im not hip.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    A 2007 XTR group isn't going to offer anything better than the current XT offerings, and replacing worn parts on that dated bike would make it a real money pit. I might consider a hardtail in that price range, but certainly not a fs bike.

Its only a bad idea if you have a ton of expendable income. Personally, I cant afford to go out and upgrade everything on a bike with new parts, new Fox forks are 600 and up, I gotta get a deal.

His budget is 1800. If he were to pay, say 1100 for the Epic, he would come out just fine. That sure beats paying 1100 for just a frame, and then 2000 building it out.

Personally, a new 1800 dollar bike is just nice enough to suck to spend money upgrading, but not nice enough to not need to upgrade anything.

T.W.O.

First of all, what's wrong with 26er?

What kind of question was that? The 970 was at least two gens back and it was on the market in early to mid 07. Only you'd expect to pay full retail for it. FYI, I picked up a couple of 970 groupo in summer of 07 for less than $1000 a set in Asia. A few months before it was widely available here in the US. I also took out the $140 big ring after a few rides because I just don't use it.

Is that Epic $1100?

I've been where you are now, long time ago. Let me sum it up for you the best investment is one you only have to make once and upgrades on the mountain bike is unavoidable it's a decease that riders pick up from the trails or other riders.

Unless a buyer has all necessary tools to make any changes to the bike, it's not a good idea to think that far. Even if you have all the tools you should always buy the right bike. If you want a used component(s) get used components don't seek it out from a complete bike or you'd end up with a garage full of parts.

The Fastest of Bananas
    I guess thats why my garage is full of parts!

Tinkering is half the fun for me. I have all the tools to do anything, and I grew up wrenching. Garage time is as much of a getaway for me as riding time.