Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Building up a bike question.

I'm looking at purchasing a carbon HT frame for racing the LT100. What are the best most cost efficient way to actually get the components to build up the bike? On my current ride, I'd steal the brakes (Formula R1s) and the pedals (4ti-egg beaters). For wheels I'm committed to a stan's build. So I guess I just need the gruppo, sans brakes. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Ebay, PricePoint, and Blue Sky Cycling are options that come to mind. They seem to offer very good prices and selection. Are you looking to buy all new components, fork, wheelset, cockpit etc?. Brakes and pedals aside, I know building a bike can get very expensive. Have you compared your estimated build cost to a complete bike purchase? Pedals are almost always a carry-over but you have a really nice set of brakes that may complement a nice new rig. Just an idea.

veggie
    May 2010
    I've done a few things. Usually I google product search what I want, then price match it at jensonusa.com or universalcycles.com. Universal builds good wheels for decent cost too.
    I've also bought a few years older complete bike on the local classifieds and moved things over, then sold what i didn't use.
    Ebay is sketchy for me. Pinkbike even sketchier.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Another possibility would be to purchase a complete "cheap" bike with a high end spec such as those sold on Bikes Direct or Bicycle Island which sells the same bikes but with blemishes, at a discount and swapping the components over. The parts spec on some of these bikes is top notch (Sram XX, Shimano XTR, Ritchey, etc.) and they are a lot cheaper than most name brand bikes. Once again just an idea.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by CyclesnIPAs View Post
    Another possibility would be to purchase a complete "cheap" bike with a high end spec such as those sold on Bikes Direct or Bicycle Island which sells the same bikes but with blemishes, at a discount and swapping the components over. The parts spec on some of these bikes is top notch (Sram XX, Shimano XTR, Ritchey, etc.) and they are a lot cheaper than most name brand bikes. Once again just an idea.
    There are a few problems going that route, op has already picked the wheelset. More important, bd bikes do not come with full group of components, usually it's a mixed bag of components brand, Fsa cranks, shimano shifters, avid brakes. There are some models that come close to full groupo but ended up being more expensive.

Then it's the selling off all the parts, not fun for most people. All of the potential saving is lost.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The problem I see is that BD bikes might have blingy derailers, but the important stuff like wheels and cranksets are low end or just straight junk. Maybe no worse than other companies' OEM components, but still not worth buying to be a donor bike, IMO.

T.W.O.
    Yeah, stick with pricepoint, jenson usa, bluesky, I have great experience with them. If you are looking for the Shimano components eBay is not a bad source either. They are OEM so no box but most reputable oversea(Asian) sellers offers very good price, just takes a bit longer for shipping time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bolandjd View Post
    The problem I see is that BD bikes might have blingy derailers, but the important stuff like wheels and cranksets are low end or just straight junk. Maybe no worse than other companies' OEM components, but still not worth buying to be a donor bike, IMO.
    Understood. As I said it was just an idea.The op was asking for suggestions so my op suggested PricePoint and Blue Sky. Those would absolutely be my top choices for price and selection. BikesDirect was just an alternate. The op didnt mention a budget nor any specifics about the frame he was building up aside from it being carbon and the few things his other ride would be donating. I myself have pretty much built up my bike but over time so I have an idea of how expensive it can be especially in one shot. I also suggested comparing a complete bike purchase over a build up. Just trying to cover all grounds here.

Jumper
    Aug 2012
    I just picked up a 2009 KHS Velvet frame for a build project I am doing. Does anyone know where to get the specs/sizing for the bottom bracket? I could only find the type used on the stock bike which was a Truvativ Howitzer outboard bearing splined.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Check your friends who ride. I can almost always find some good used parts cheaply in our local mtb community.

One Gear
    Look around a lot and be patient. I built my son's bike up from a frame and got every part on sale. Most things were 30% off or more. Blue Sky did have some of the best sales. The OEM takeoffs are great as long as you know exactly what you need and don't need directions and such.

Good luck

turtles make me hot
    Also check Chain Reaction Cycles. I've gotten some really good deals there.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    The most cost efficient way is to break in to a store and steal them. Otherwise, you are free to use the internet to search for prices. You should make a spreadsheet and put together your build/prices that way.

Jumper
    Aug 2012
    Thanks..When I measured my bottom bracket on the frame it is 71.4mm. Soooo, do I need a 68mm or 73mm bottom bracket?

Jumper
    Aug 2012
    I also see that I can get a 68/73mm BB. so I am assuming this will fit my frame (2009 KHS Velvet).

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by mengel400 View Post
    I also see that I can get a 68/73mm BB. so I am assuming this will fit my frame (2009 KHS Velvet).
    All of the external bb can fit both 68/73 bb just the matter of installing the provided spacers. Yes, it would fit your frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Go on eBay and find a bike with the groupo you want, buy it, strip the parts and build you bike. Sell the leftovers on eBay. Full bikes with groupo on eBay are cheaper than individual parts.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crank Monkey View Post
    Go on eBay and find a bike with the groupo you want, buy it, strip the parts and build you bike. Sell the leftovers on eBay. Full bikes with groupo on eBay are cheaper than individual parts.
    That's is not a good idea, unless you are buying the bike you want. Shipping alone would void all saving you get plus the hassle of selling back. The time is more valuable than that.

Spending time looking for deals from online stores with free shipping and call it a day.

Jumper
    Aug 2012
    Thanks mimi1885

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    i've always gotten the best deals from eBay, the mtbr classifieds, and pinkbike classifieds. a bit of patience and negotiating skills and you can nab the gear you want for great deals. i would go this route for shifters, derailleurs, crank, etc.

for parts you don't want to buy used, or sometimes for a screaming 'new' deal: in addition to other sites mentioned, upgradecycle, albeit a terrible interface has some pretty good deals. bikebling has good prices but is slow to process your order. i've always been pleased with universalcycles for getting chains, chainrings, brake pads, etc.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    and stay away from chainreaction cycles (assuming you're in the US). there are customs charges that you get hit with when you place an order from them.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by koudja View Post
    and stay away from chainreaction cycles (assuming you're in the US). there are customs charges that you get hit with when you place an order from them.
    I've never had that happen.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    On my last build, I used a combination of JensonUSA, Wheelworld, Pricepoint, Chain Reaction, and BikeDiscount.de. No customs fees ever charged to me from all my orders from CRC, Wiggle, BikeDiscount.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I've never had that happen.
    Not sure why I got dinged for customs, it was for a set of tires 4-5 years ago. Glad to hear others are not having that happen, they do have good deals.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dnlwthrn View Post
    On my last build, I used a combination of JensonUSA, Wheelworld, Pricepoint, Chain Reaction, and BikeDiscount.de. No customs fees ever charged to me from all my orders from CRC, Wiggle, BikeDiscount.
    I am awaiting a shipment from bike-discount now. I've done one other order with them and didn't get hit with customs - fingers crossed I don't get hit this time. I did an order with CRC over Christmas and there was no customs on that order.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast