mtbr member
    Oct 2008

New question here. Building Road bike using Trek zx 8000

Hi,

I am interested building my own road bike. I currently have a Trek ZX8000 aluminum frame that is really light and fits me well, so I would like to use it. I was wondering if anybody knew what size bottom bracket (172.5mm or 175mm) I would need?

I already have Easton EA70 handle bars for the bike but I was also wondering what size fork I would need? I'm looking for something aluminum, non-suspension to match the bike.

I understand what parts to purchase, I'm just a little hazy on sizing.

Thanks!

PS any other insight into converting this mountain bike frame to a road bike would be greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    What year is your frame? I have a 1997 model and while it is a nice frame what you will end up with at best is a nice Urban Bike. Something similar to the Cannondale Bad Boy or Scott Sub type of bike. If you want a true road bike save your money on the conversion and buy a true road bike. If you want an urban bike your frame is a good candidate. BUT it will be expensive if you don't have a stash of old parts kicking around.

As far as the BB. The 1997 uses a 73mm shell and 113 spindle stock. I believe the crank is 175mm stock but a 172.5 may be better for spinning faster for the road. Your fork choice will depend on if you want to change the handling of the frame. I used an old Cannondale P-Bone that was shorter then the original fork (with calculated sag) for quicker steering on the road.

Here is a picture of mine before the slicks and road cassette. Not as fast as my road bike, but a ball as an urban ride.