Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Building on a Giant Warp: Rear Shock Woes.

9K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  FNFAL 
#1 ·
So after spending half a year building a beautiful hardtail mountain bike off of a Fetish frame, and after just completing it with a set of Crank Brother Mallets (20 bucks from a friend), it gets stolen when I had it chained up on campus in the middle of the day.

Great.

So a friend of mine has a lot of bikes that he sells via craigslist and such, and he happened to have an '04 Giant "Canyon limited" (aka, the Warp). Looks to be a good DS frame. I've already got some parts lined up to order for it to upgrade it how I want, but would like to get a little insight on rear shocks, since this is my first DS bike.

The stock shock is nice, but I'm thinking about cutting the weight in half (going from coil to air). I also wanted a lockout so I can pretend it's a hardtail occasionally, but that's not really needed.

So what air shock am I looking at that would be good for this bike? The eye-to-eye length on the bike with the current set-up is 8 inches.

#2 ·
So a little more information.

I work in a bike shop, so I can order anything from BTI. I have never worked with rear shocks before, so just looking for some direction. I can get things for at least half price, so price isn't really an issue right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.