mtbr member

New question here. Building bike with used parts?

Hi, this winter I'm planning on building up a bike. I am almost totally sure that I'm going to get a used frame, but I'm wondering if it's a good idea to get used components, or rather which components to get used and which should be bought new.

Im going FS 26er, I've got a small budget, I'm 14 and 5'10" and weigh 135.
    I'm a freerider too. thats what makes this a bit more challenging.

As for the frame, any recommendations? It needs to be bash-able.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Well you're in a bit of a dilemma! Freeride is hard on stuff, and full squish has lots of pivots and shocks and forks that wear out or need servicing. If you really really know your stuff you might be OK, but being you are young I expect you don't yet have the mechanical knowledge to know good from bad.

If you were going hardtail it would be so much easier. I'd still say don't buy a used fork, or used shifters and derailleurs. Wheels, cranks, brakes, bars, stems, posts can all be used although not knowing the history on a set of bars worries me a bit.

I was around your age when I bought my 1st motocrosser and I had zero support from my family. I have been wrenching on vehicles ever since which is coming up on 36 years now.

Building your own bike is a good project and you'll get a lot of satisfaction from it, but a lot of research is needed as you begin buying stuff.

Compatibility issues, what's good, what's not , etc.

If you are going fully you've got to know your stuff or get someone to help you pick a used frame. If you can't inspect it before hand don't buy it, as there's just too much that can be wrong.

Lots of help can be found here!

Good luck!

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Re: Building bike with used parts?

Go for used components as long as they look like they weren't beat on. The new ones.Id go with are brakes for sure. I wouldn't trust used ones but that's me.

Sent from my HTC EVO LTE

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by dru View Post
    Well you're in a bit of a dilemma! Freeride is hard on stuff, and full squish has lots of pivots and shocks and forks that wear out or need servicing. If you really really know your stuff you might be OK, but being you are young I expect you don't yet have the mechanical knowledge to know good from bad.

If you were going hardtail it would be so much easier. I'd still say don't buy a used fork, or used shifters and derailleurs. Wheels, cranks, brakes, bars, stems, posts can all be used although not knowing the history on a set of bars worries me a bit.

I was around your age when I bought my 1st motocrosser and I had zero support from my family. I have been wrenching on vehicles ever since which is coming up on 36 years now.

Building your own bike is a good project and you'll get a lot of satisfaction from it, but a lot of research is needed as you begin buying stuff.

Compatibility issues, what's good, what's not , etc.

If you are going fully you've got to know your stuff or get someone to help you pick a used frame. If you can't inspect it before hand don't buy it, as there's just too much that can be wrong.

Lots of help can be found here!

Good luck!

Drew
    I would follow his suggestion.

If you know what you are doing and take your time getting the components, why not. I'd add that proper tools your build would be much easier. But it would add to your total cost.

I'd look for a good used Giant Reign X, 6.75" travel and you can still pedal up the hill.

mtbr member
    thanks, Ive got a friend with all the tools so I wouldn't have to pay for that bit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hey that's great! Building bikes on the cheap is a fun project. I've had pretty good luck sourcing used parts from co-ops and donor bikes for various projects. You'll want to pay attention to the wear on the drivetrain components. As I'm sure you know, ideally you want your chain and sprockets to wear in together, so if you can source your chain, chainrings, and cassette from the same donor bike, that's a plus. Otherwise, just consider buying a new chain and cassette. Maybe chainrings too, if they look really bad. I'd also recommend regreasing/overhauling anything you can - hubs, headset, fork, etc. Don't know how you're planning to source the parts, but if wind up digging through parts bins, calipers are your friend. Helps to have one on hand to measure odd parts to make sure they are compatible with your build. As far as what to buy new, definitely cables/housing and tires, but you probably figured that. I'd add grips too. Old grips work fine, but new grips (or good condition grips anyway) help that "new to you" bike feel new. Wish I could help on a frame recommendo, but I've never really messed with full sus.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er