Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Build with "budget" KHS XC604 frame.

I got a KHS XC604 frame from Bob's Bikes (AKA Betterbikes on ebay) for my wife who I finally convinced to try FS. The frames are going fairly cheap. $385 for a XC204 and $440 for a XC604. Both are 4.2" Horst Link (FSR) frames, the only difference is the shock. I read good things about the KHS frames so we gave the XC604 a shot.

The frame came with a complete headset, qr seat collar, Ario 2.1, and all of the sections of derailleur housing needed (that was a new one to me). I wish I had known about the housing, I could have just bought new cables and saved a few bucks on the housing.

Not the lightest XC frame out there. The frame is listed as 6 lbs, 14 oz with the shock, and indeed it felt something like 7 lbs with the headset, seat collar, and shock on it. However the construction looked pretty good. It is a pretty beefy frame, actually, especially around the head tube. A very good looking frame, IMO. The Ario is nothing to get exited about, but seems to do the job OK. I am going to keep my eyes out for a replacement shock, but I took it out for a short ride and I thought it was acceptable.

It built up great with all of the parts from her HT. All I needed to buy were new cables/housing and a set of bb7's to replace the v-brakes.

We went on a ride today after I finished it, and she was really stoked about it. I had been trying to convince her to let me get her a FS frame, and now she understands why.

So, if anyone is looking for a good budget frame, we are supper happy with this one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    What size is that? My wife has an upgraded XS XC004 and it rides "ok". To me it feels like I'm pulling 20 pounds behind me compared to my bike (BMC Fourstroke) Also the rear is very flexy. If you wiggle the rear tire side to side, you can see the top link the shock attaches to move ever so slightly. I think that's the reason it rides sluggish.
    But one thing I like is that the rear end is plush, even with the RS SID XC w/ rebound.

One thing I also noticed is after 200+ miles, the bottom hole on the shock got bigger/elongated and caused play in the shock mounting bolt.
    And put some thread lock on the bolts because they do not come with any and the bolt behind the BB came loose once.
    The plastic bushing on the rear end of the rocker links is also starting to wear out. It's plastic with a steel bushing that the bolt rides through and has now developed play.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1
    What size is that? My wife has an upgraded XS XC004 and it rides "ok". To me it feels like I'm pulling 20 pounds behind me compared to my bike (BMC Fourstroke) Also the rear is very flexy. If you wiggle the rear tire side to side, you can see the top link the shock attaches to move ever so slightly. I think that's the reason it rides sluggish.
    But one thing I like is that the rear end is plush, even with the RS SID XC w/ rebound.

One thing I also noticed is after 200+ miles, the bottom hole on the shock got bigger/elongated and caused play in the shock mounting bolt.
    And put some thread lock on the bolts because they do not come with any and the bolt behind the BB came loose once.
    The plastic bushing on the rear end of the rocker links is also starting to wear out. It's plastic with a steel bushing that the bolt rides through and has now developed play.
    Thanks, I'll check that stuff out. I'm not getting any play at this point in any of the linkage. I've been unclear as to whether the 004 is an identical frame to the 204 and 604. Maybe the linkage hardware is different.

This one is a small.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    XC004,204, and 604 are all the same frame, different shock. They stopped making the XC004 though. Being a bike for the wife (yours and mine), it's a great frame for the price!