mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Budget rigid fork for suspended 26" gary fischer

Got a 26' gary fischer that is in awesome shape. It's got a huge fork on the thing, and I'm looking to put a rigid on it and wondered what forks folks recommend on a tight budget. I was thinking a carbon from like nashbar, but have heard they aren't much lighter than some non-caron forks. So should I put a cheap carbon on it, or just find an aluminum and throw on it. Needs bosses for rim brakes. Thanks all that provide input!

mtbr member
    It would help to know the travel on your sus fork. Pics can also help. I like the Salsa cromoto forks, the shorter 425 axle to crown has bosses. Surly forks can also be a good choice. Dimension could also be a good budget buy and is the cheapest. Although, if you are thinking carbon I'm surprised budget is an issue. I will say, IMO, it will probably be better to spend money on a non- carbon fork. It should be cheaper and tougher. Unless you are worried about weight, I think you will get more bang for your budget buck going non-carbon.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks for the info. Here's a pic of the bike, I'm thinking she may have to much fork for the bike, but that's the way I acquired it.

Most likely any carbon forks will be out due to price alone, but I was curious about all opinions and would like to look into anything people mention. I was actually planning on building a rigid 29'er, but not really worth the $$ for me to do so when this bike is fine for the amount of dirt I ride.

mtbr member
    It looks like you have both bosses for Vs and a disc tab on the frame, which I would think puts the frame around the early to mid 2000s. I can't tell you if the fork has too much travel for the frame, but I will say you will have to get a rigid fork with an a-c that matches the sus fork a-c if you like the way it rides now. The 425 cro-moto fork is sus corrected for an 80mm travel fork. The 445 version, disc only, is sus corrected for a 100mm sus fork. I would try to measure the a-c on your current fork when in the sag position and look at rigid forks corrected for your travel that match closely to that measurement. I would also perhaps look at Bicycle Blue Book - Trade With Confidence if you think that the fork you have isn't original. You should be able to see the original build specs which should give you a little more info to work with to help you make a decision.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks for the link and the info. Judging by the paint scheme she's a 2006 GF Marlin and I don't have the original fork.

Listing Detail - Bicycle Blue Book