mtbr member
    Aug 2012

New question here. Broke my frame today, new bike or frame? What size?

Hi there

So i have an old Rocky Mountain Pipeline from the early 2000's and i was out riding today and broke the frame on the bar in the rear sub triangle below the chainstay. Anyways i was in the process of building it up and modernizing it. (1X drivetrain, x9 shifter derailleur, raceface n/w chain ring, truvativ stem and bars as well as a new fox float for the rear.)I don't know if the frame breaking was a sign to do this right, as i am new to the whole mtb scene and I knew this bike was kind of small for me, but i wanted to build it up as i got better. think its a med (will make sure tomorrow) and i am 6'3'' 210 lbs. however i love to jump, skid, whip and everything in between so i think the smaller bike is a good feel for me. Knowing i want an all mountain, do it all type bike (full Suspension) what frame would be best for my me? 6'3'' 210 Large or Xl. i love the the ability to throw around my bike and feel like i'm in control. My 2nd question is, do i buy a new bike or a new frame and use existing parts off my old rig because i just spent about 300 on new drivetrain and bars combo. I know i will need a new frame and fork, i am trying to keep that under the thousand range. i pretty much have everything else that can go onto my frame. i'm just not really sure about my wheels either. i will prolly be rocking 26'' as it is cheaper but i was maybe even think about putting a 650b upfront and 26 in the rear. Thanks again, will be adding pictures of the break in the frame and wheelset.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    At 6'3", I would at least get out and demo some bikes with larger than 26" wheels. A medium is not even close to a good fit as a mountain bike. At your height, you might be good with one company's large, or an XL from someone else.

In your budget range, you are going to have to shop carefully (especially if you want full suspension) and just see what is out there. You might find a good deal on a complete bike, and just sell off your other parts. You might be able to use some of it, or none of it. Just depends what you run across.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks for the response Jeff.

I have a local specialized dealer down the road so i will defintely try out there 29ers but that would be more money for me to switch over because of the wheelset i would need to purchase, do brakes change with a 29er as well? Not bashing a 29er whatsoever, just trying to be as budget friendly as possible (im 22 and a server at the olive garden) However, i frequent pinkbike a lot and have found a few large santa cruz frames i am interested in around the 500$ range, i figure another 200-250 for forks and maybe a couple hundred more for bottom bracket and misc. things. Keep in mind, i love to build up things so im leaning more towards the frame option because i feel like i could get a better quality frame anyways.

I guess im just really kind of stuck on the L vs. XL debate, will hit up the bike shop and report back today.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Just measured from the center on the BB to the top of the seat tube on my current frame and it read 17''. i knew it was small but i didn't think it was that small... So im really thinking a 19 or 20 inch would be perfect for me. Anyways, here are some pics, i tried to include the wheel logo as well, i think it will work for an all mountain type setup for the time being until i can get a new set seeing that i have a 2.4 currently on the front.

Broke my frame today, new bike or frame? What size?-photo-3.jpgBroke my frame today, new bike or frame? What size?-photo-1.jpg