mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Bought a frame tonight. Should I build it or sell it??

Hi all, I bought a new Azonic Avenger 17" frame tonight. It is the frame without the rear shock. I get some sponsorship from oneal usa for mx racing and was offered the frame for $299 plus shipping. I didnt know if it was any good or not but at the price I figured if I wasnt going to use it I should be able to get my money back out of it. If I build it, I am going to have to shop slowly for used parts in order to keep the price down. The thing is I am not familiar with bikes a whole lot and my current mountain bike is a bamf full nelson. Any opinions on the frame and or parts available from your spares would be appreciated. It looks like I would need an 7.875x2.25 rear shock to start.

Avenger Frame - O'Neal Motocross
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bought a frame tonight.  Should I build it or sell it??-azonic_avenger_frame_2009-1-.jpg  

BAMF Full Nelson

mtbr member
    Great deal if you plan on building it up IMHO. What are you planning on using it for?

Head angle would be a bit steep for my liking (69 degrees apparently), but you can always tweak it a bit with an angleset if that bothers you. I think the most you can get from an angleset with a 44mm headtube is about 2 degrees (e.g. two Cane Creek EC44 offset cups at 1 degree each).

I just picked up a newish Roco Air TSR R in that size for $250 off the Pinkbike buy/sell, but you can probably get something for a lot less if you don't want to replicate the original spec.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboar View Post
    Hi all, I bought a new Azonic Avenger 17" frame tonight. It is the frame without the rear shock. I get some sponsorship from oneal usa for mx racing and was offered the frame for $299 plus shipping.
    Won't they expect you to ride it since they are sponsoring you?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I dont think it would really matter since I am sponsored by oneal for motorcycle racing and technically not the bicycle side which is Azonic. It doesnt really matter though since I have decided I am going to keep it and build it. I am just going to take my time doing it so it wont feel like it hurt my pocketbook so badly.

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    Won't they expect you to ride it since they are sponsoring you?
    BAMF Full Nelson

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboar View Post
    ...since I have decided I am going to keep it and build it.
    That's what I'd do. It looks to be a fun frame to build.

BTW, did it not come with a shock already installed?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I havent received it yet J. I do not believe it will as the email I received had an asterisk that said the shock was not included. TO be honest, I really know very little about mountain bikes and as I stated I ride a bamf full nelson. I just saw the email and the price and bought it thinking it had to be a good deal. I dont know what direction to take. I am thinking of using everything off my full nelson on it as it looks like tthey use the same headset(zs-3) and BB(68mm). If I could use everything off of it(sram x7 stuff) and just buy the rear shock, I am thinking I will need longer travel front forks over my dart 3, and a seat post and clamp since the azonic uses a much larger one(34.9 clamp). I am thinking that would be the cheapest way to get it going unless I can find some really good deals on parts.

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    That's what I'd do. It looks to be a fun frame to build.

BTW, did it not come with a shock already installed?
    BAMF Full Nelson

Members who have read this thread: 0