mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Bottom bracket question......

I have a crank off of my 2009 trek top fuel 9.8 that says Hollowtech II on it. I'm looking for a new frame so what size of bottom bracket do I need?

mtbr member
    Your cranks are compatible with a number of bottom bracket designs; with the right BB it will fit nearly all "normal" (i.e., frames that have 135 or 142mm rear wheel spacing; not downhill or fatbike) frames.

If you're asking about re-using the BB also, well you haven't provided enough info.

Of the Nameless Rabble
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by thedawg28 View Post
    I have a crank off of my 2009 trek top fuel 9.8 that says Hollowtech II on it. I'm looking for a new frame so what size of bottom bracket do I need?
    If I'm understanding your question correctly, and that you're trying to find a frame that will accommodate your current crankset, you have a number of options available to you.

You could get a frame that accommodates many varieties of external-bearing bottom brackets compatible with the Shimano Hollowtech II spindle (usually 24mm diameter, but be sure to double check that's what you have), which usually means a threaded bottom bracket shell that is 68mm or 73mm wide; or you could get a frame that accommodates the numerous varieties of press-fit bottom brackets that are compatible with the Shimano Hollowtech II spindle.

In other words, you have lots and lots of potential frame options. There are varying opinions, all of which make sense, related to the superiority or inferiority of threaded bottom-bracket shells versus press-fit bottom bracket shells.

I will simplify discussion here by refraining to state my own opinion on that topic, because it opens up a whole can of worms.

Best wishes.

I like this place