mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Bottle Cage Located On Top Tube..

Why doesn't anyone mount the bottle cage mount behind the steering tube on the top tube? Is it only because the factory doesn't install mounting bolts there?

My question lies with the experience of reaching for my bottle, past my shock, while I'm also trying to catch my breath and watch where I'm riding while getting a sip of water. It has to be easier?

I'm going to get some double-sided tape and zipties to experient with its location. I would love to reach down and grab the bottle and reinstall it without worrying about reaching down my bike....destroying my momentum as I try to balance and steer.

Anyone else have this thought as well?

AZ
    banned

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Great link....I don't want to get rid of my $70 carbon fiber cage though...but it's good to see there's something for someone who would be starting with nothing.

Fat-tired Roadie
    http://www.biketiresdirect.com/produ...cap-cage-mount

Never tried it myself. I think I saw one that looked less cheesy somewhere else on the 'net.

You can also get mounts to go on the front of the handlebars or behind the seat post.

I think I notice changes in my bike's handling when I add weight that high. A full bottle is quite a lot. I think part of the reason for the traditional down and seat tube bottle cage positions is that it puts the weight closest to the bottom bracket, and I think that weight has the least impact on bike handling when it's down there. What bike do you have?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba
    Thanks for the link, which carries some great products and/or ideas for bottle mounting options.

The ultimate fix is to wear my camelback; however, for my 10-mile and shorter races there isn't a need for much more than 24oz of water as I pre-hyrate 24-36 hours before.

I like the threadless headset stem mount, although I'd be cautious to trial-test it hard for any loosening caused by the bottle rotating itself loose; securing the top of the cage with a zip tie further up the stem would probably be the solution?

Thanks again,