Thread: Bikes Direct?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Bikes Direct?

Hello

On my search for my first bike (looking for a sub 1000$ full suspension) I came across bikesdirect.com. I have been looking at a motobecane fantom trail ds. I guess I am worried because i have never heard of motobecane as one of the major brands. Also the bikes on this site just seem a little strange.
    Basically I would like to know if bikesdirect is a good place to buy bikes, or is it just too good to be true.

Thank you

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Bikesdirect is a direct to the consumer bike company. Most of the brands on the site are not real companies. They are names of old defunct bike companies that Bikesdirect purchased the rights to and labels their bikes with. Most of the high end bikes are built by Kinesis. Kinesis is one of the best frame makers around and builds bikes for some of the top bike companies in the world. So the bikes are not cheap walmart bikes. However the frame designs of most bike are about 5-10 years behind other major manufacturers.

I would not consider the Fantom Trail. I actually built one of these up for a friend, so I know a lot about it. They are extremely heavy. The rear shock is junk with very little adjustability, and suspension performance is poor with the coil shock. If you are interested in the Fantom DS bikes you should get one with an air shock.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thank you lgsmith. I was thinking that the frame designs looked out dated as well. Could I get bye if i bought a rockshox bar, or ario in addition to the fantom. Also if you have any other reccomendations for a sub 1000$ full suspension bike please tell. I have another thread "Bike for a Beginner", and insight is helpful. Thank you very much.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    JensonUSA.com has some great deals on last years close outs. I got my Jamis XCT1 from them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks for the info I was thinking of buying from them

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Idea! Bikes direct

Just bought a Motobecane 700 HT XC. What do you guys think?

T.W.O.
    I agree with lj. The only FS worth considering from BD would be the GT Force. That's the only legitimate design they have. Forget the rest of the FS designs they are not Trail-worthy. the shock rate and ratio is off the chart high regardless of the type of shocks/brands you put on that bike it would still ride poorly.

BD offer just about fair price for what they sell not anymore than that even on their ti HT. It's just ridiculous how they often compare to the bike more than twice the price. I know mtb can be overwhelmed to most who are new to the sport but clearly it's too good to be true in every sense of the word when it comes to comparison.

If you have a set budget you are better off with going with used bike I just respond to another thread of a guy in your area as well so check it out. Help me out fellers!!!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    If you HAVE to have a full-suspension bike, just save up some more.

Mountain Bikes aren't going to disappear any time soon, and if you're already have a thousand to spend on a bike, I assume you're not living in poverty. Be patient.

Save your money and/or scour the used market.

Bikesdirect has some damn fine offerings, but their full-suspension models leave a great deal to be desired. I'd happily pick up on of their hard tails, however.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I wasn't all that impressed with jensonUSA, but I am in a lower price range ($500 max). I have been really interested in the mtb from bikesdirect, since I got my road bike from them. I can't decide if I want to go with something slightly more name brand this time. Looking at Fuji, Trek, and the Specialized Hardrock series. Any opinions are welcome.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Are you comfortable and capable of fixing and maintaining your bike? If you are, then go ahead and order online. If you aren't, go to a local shop. It will pay off in the long run, and probably the short run unless you know the bike will fit you perfectly and you don't need/want any upgrades, etc.