mtbr member
    May 2004

Bike size for 5'4" woman?

Trying to find my wife a nice used mountain bike and not sure what size. Trek and Specialized sizing has 15.5" and 17". Would 15.5" be the best size for her? I hate to go to local shops for sizing since I am trying to buy used. Note: my wife is not a technical rider and mostly rides rail trails, fire roads, etc.

trekker
    Jul 2005
    I'm 5'8" with a 31 or 32" inseam (pretty long for someone my height), and a 17 fits me perfect. I can only assume that 5'4" with a 15.5 frame is a match made in biker heaven.

Good luck.

it's the ride....
    May 2004

Go for TT length...

..that would mostly determine the "correct" ride position and comfort.
    BTW I am 5'3" rides 21.5" TT size bike with 100mm stem, but also feel comfortable on 22.2" TT with shorter stem.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks04
    Trying to find my wife a nice used mountain bike and not sure what size. Trek and Specialized sizing has 15.5" and 17". Would 15.5" be the best size for her? I hate to go to local shops for sizing since I am trying to buy used. Note: my wife is not a technical rider and mostly rides rail trails, fire roads, etc.

EDR
    Fit is paramount....Generally speaking I would think a 17.5 inch frame would be too big.

Santa Cruz Superlight Julianne (sp?) is noted for being a great bike with a womens specific design. There are others that would fit this bill, you will just have to search some more or hopefully some others will chime in here....

ride hard take risks
    edr suggested the ultimate female specific bike, i'll 2nd that one! If price is a issue Ibex was suggested here earlyer, very good components for a cheap price. Dont be afraid of the LBS they usually have used bikes also .
    http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes-Hub-MTB.html

mtbr member
    Trek 15.5" should be perfect.

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by fishercat
    Trek 15.5" should be perfect.
    My wife is 5-4" and is on a 15.5" Trek 6500 WSD. Fits her very well after swapping to the correct stem. I can't imagine a 5-4" lady on a 17" unless her inseam were crazy long.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    my wife is 5'4" and the 15" trek was too cramped for her, she liked the 16" much better. but don't buy one untill she trys it first...
    " No! try not, Do or do not. There is no try. "

ride hard take risks
    "Perfect example of why you should go to the LBS, 2 ladies 5'4" one on a 15.5 the other 16. It wouldnt hurt to check out what they have, if you dont know them yet you can meet new people & fit the wife. The LBS will talk to you about size & you can tell them your looking used & i'm shure they are willing to help in hopes that you come back to say high & buy some parts .

Time is not a road.
    Just to throw a wrench in it all for ya, my wife is 5'3" and her 13" Ellsworth is too long for her! We've been able to correct it with component swaps, though. Standover is great, no worries there. But it goes to show that different bikes can be vastly different fitting across an array of riders.

That said, a recent MBR review of 5 women's specific bikes rated the Trek EX 8 last, behind the Stumpjumper, Kona Lisa (Kona, ironically, doesn't change it's geo for it's womens bikes. They have a naturally short TT that suites women. My wife test rode a Kona and loved it for it's fit) and Cannondale Rush. There was also a Euro company that I don't know. The EX 8 was noted to be too race oriented, with twitchy handling and harsh suspension (no pivots on the rear triangle).

Take a good look at Kona bikes.

EDR
    I neglected to mention that my wife, although not a big mb'r, has a Trek 800, it's a 15.5 inch I think and seems to fit her just fine. She's 5'4''. FWIW...
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 01-26-2006 at 09:26 PM.