mtbr member
    May 2013

Bike the right size?

I am sure that this must be one of the most FAQ, but here we go anyway.... Is my bike the correct size (see photo)? I ride mostly all mountain, lots of steep climbs, fast downhills and switchbacks. The bike feels a tad small to me, but then again I like the fact that it is light ad I can really throw I around a lot. The only thing that is bothering me is that after 2 1/2 hours or so I develop lower back ache and slightly numb hands. I would consider investing in one size frame up, but I am not sure if the bike then would be too big. By posting the photo of my body position on my bike I am hoping to get some input from more experienced riders. Thank you in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bike the right size?-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    the bike looks small to me from the pic but if you like small? lower back pain might be fixed by a minor seat adjustment and or a stem and bar adjustment. Before you run out and buy a new bike try adjusting things a little, slide the seat back tilt the nose up and or down a little, sometimes a minor seat adjustment makes a big difference, roll the bars forward a bit or try a longer stem. If you try this even if you feel the frame is too small at least it will point you in the right direction on a new purchase.
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

Cycle Psycho
    From that picture, the bike is very small, compared to your dimensions. I can't see the seatpost, but I'm imagining it being at it's upper limits of protrusion. It almost looks like it's two sizes too small. Go one size up if you like your bikes to fit "small" (I do too), and two sizes up for a "normal" fit. The longer headtube of a larger frame will raise your bars. You can raise your bars and get a longer stem with riser bars, or a high-rise stem, but you can't go forcing something that's just not right for you. You might also consider larger wheelsize, if you're investing in a larger bike. I love 26'ers, but you seem a lot taller than me.
    '10 Rocky Mountain Metropolis (rigid 2x10)
    '10 SURLY 1x1 (rigid SS)
    '13 SURLY Ogre (rigid SS)
    '13 SURLY Troll (rigid 2x10)

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hi Gritter, thank you for your very kind advice. In fact, I have sold the Trek Fuel and yesterday bought a Giant Reign X two sizes bigger! I am picking it up over the weekend. Thank you again.

Cycle Psycho
    Cheers. Glad you got it all sorted out. Those are some nice bikes, by the way.
    '10 Rocky Mountain Metropolis (rigid 2x10)
    '10 SURLY 1x1 (rigid SS)
    '13 SURLY Ogre (rigid SS)
    '13 SURLY Troll (rigid 2x10)