mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Bike Review: Schwinn Ditch 1.0

Hello MTBrers.

I was looking for a bike to ride with my friends and i happen to stumble upon a Schwinn ditch 1.0 at costco for 250.00

I cannot happen to find any reviews or any thing about this bike. Not even on the schwinn website.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...=1&topnav=&s=1

here is the link if nobody knows. So if anybody bought this bike, any suggestions?

Former Bike Wrench
    Unless your willing to shell out closer to $800, I highly recommend you stick with front suspension only bikes. Full suspension bikes in this price range are excessively heavy and have suspension systems that basically don't work correctly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Altough many will exxagerate the frailties of a dept store bike, the real problem with them is that you get a buttload of pedal bob on the "fs" bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    ^ i dont quite understand the term "pedal bob"

mtbr member
    I'd avoid a full suspension bike below $350 (most people say $500 as the bare minimum).

I recommend getting a Forge bike.. preferably the hardtail.

If you have to get a full sus, the Forge full sus looks like the best choice at that pricepoint. If you could raise your budget it'd be great if you're set on a full suspension bike.

http://www.forgebikes.com/

Order from target.. and you can use target 10% off coupons if you manage to find one.

EDIT:

Pedal bob is the amount of movement in your suspension you get when you are pedaling your bike.

For a bike like the Schwinn Ditch, I'd guess the suspension is no better than a $150 Mongoose dept. bike full sus I rode.. and in that case the pedal bob was just unbearable.

When pedaling, I stood up, pedaled, and literally 40% of my energy was going into the shock. I felt like half of my pedaling was just disapearring into thin air. Although it's kind of wierd.. my dad could climb on the bike just as good as some people on some Gary Fisher's & Stumpjumpers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    basically the susension is activated when you dont need it, and inwalmart bikes pretty much everytime you pedal it is activated, sucking your energy away.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    forge seems nice.

so if you put Forge against a Giant Boulder SE or Rincon

which is a better deal?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Are you looking at the 5xx or 7xx, over which I would say the Forge HT beats the Rincon easily.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    what about specialized rockhopper? or hardrock?

1.so would you people say that Forge hardtail is better than the schwinn bike at costco?

2. is Forge sturdy, dependable, durable? at the price, is it worth upgrading say $50-100 more for a better bike?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    1. so much better.
    2. you won't find a comparable bike unless your looking at $500+ and then there are better alternatives

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    i have a Schwinn Ditch 3.0. DO you think that if i adjust th rear suspension rely hard i can reduce the pedal-bob?

banned
    What's the point? Then you're reducing the effectiveness and how much it actually functions, let alone making the ride harsher than it probably already is.

mtbr member
    May 2009

Schwinn Ditch 3.0

I was just wondering if anybody actually saw the Schwinn Ditch 3.0 at costco and it's specs before commenting on it. Is it crap for sure just because it's sold at costco? I believe the bike is new in 2009 and right now its hard to find any info at all on it online. I'd be interested to hear from anybody that knows their way around bikes their opinion/review on this bike and explaining what make it such a bad bike if it is indeed a really bad one and even pointing out some pluses if any can be found. I believe this would be much more helpful to people researching the bike.

I'm A Pedalphile
    Quote Originally Posted by mercjr
    I was just wondering if anybody actually saw the Schwinn Ditch 3.0 at costco and it's specs before commenting on it. Is it crap for sure just because it's sold at costco? I believe the bike is new in 2009 and right now its hard to find any info at all on it online. I'd be interested to hear from anybody that knows their way around bikes their opinion/review on this bike and explaining what make it such a bad bike if it is indeed a really bad one and even pointing out some pluses if any can be found. I believe this would be much more helpful to people researching the bike.
    I have not had experience with that particular bike, but after many years of working in a shop, and seeing these types of bikes come through, I am 100% confident in saying that you would be better off buying a bike from your local shop for the same amount of money.

The other problem is that you're investing money into a bike with a very cheap, very heavy frame. The components are designed for aesthetics, rather than function. I would much rather have a set of decent v-brakes than some no-name, hard to adjust, disc brakes. Same is true with those wheels. They look cool, but they're gonna be a pain to keep true.

I have NEVER seen a bike that was an exception. I know it's tough when you're on a tight budget, and I remember being in that position myself. Go to a few shops and test ride a few bikes. After figuring out what your budget is, see what the bikes are like if you go a step up or a step down. Maybe you'll find that it's worth saving for a bit longer. Or you might find that a bike that suits is actually less than you'd thought.
    Bikes:
    Mountain: Santa Cruz Blur
    Road: Trek Madone 5.2 SL
    Commuter: Sette Reken 1x9

habitual line-stepper
    i'll confess, the ditch 1.0 is the bike that got me (back) into mtb'ing. i didn't want to spend a lot of money on a sport i hadn't invested any time or money in over 15+ years. that bike lasted less than a year. my 2 cents is that if that's all you can afford, then go for it. i was having fun on the same trails as bikes costing 10 times as much, and thats all it took. but don't expect it to last you a great deal of time, espescially if you abuse it. if you get hooked (like i did), you'll have a good idea on what kind of bike you'll upgrade to. if you decide mtb'ing is not for you, at least you didn't break the bank to find out. good luck!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I see what you are saying but Costco is not the usual department store and usually has very good quality items.. even in sporting goods, i know snowboard equipment pretty well and they always have killer deal on quality name brand stuff.. thats is just why i was wondering how they can just be bundled together with walmarts and targets and judged so quickly. Anyways i spotted another bike that is a 2002 Giant Rincon for about $100 that is supposed to be in good condition. Do you guys think that would be a better deal? That would give me some extra money to put in the bike.. for example disk brakes. Thanks for all your input

I'm A Pedalphile
    Quote Originally Posted by mercjr
    I see what you are saying but Costco is not the usual department store and usually has very good quality items.. even in sporting goods, i know snowboard equipment pretty well and they always have killer deal on quality name brand stuff.. thats is just why i was wondering how they can just be bundled together with walmarts and targets and judged so quickly. Anyways i spotted another bike that is a 2002 Giant Rincon for about $100 that is supposed to be in good condition. Do you guys think that would be a better deal? That would give me some extra money to put in the bike.. for example disk brakes. Thanks for all your input
    It's less a judgment about the store, and more a judgment about the purpose and quality of the bike. I remember Gary Fisher sold a super cheap full-sus one year, and we wouldn't carry them in our shop. If a customer wanted one, we would order it, but there was no point. You get what you pay for, and when you're getting full suspension and disc brakes at anything under $800-$1000msrp, you're getting a lot of compromise. Also, after a lot of experience with various full-sus frames (Worked in a shop for many years, so have had a lot of experience with various frames, from dept store, to sporting goods store, to high end) I would much rather have a hardtail than a poorly designed full-sus. I used to ride a Schwinn Homegrown carbon fiber full-sus (back when Schwinn was still Schwinn) and I would have been much happier on a hardtail. My point is, you don't need the bells and whistles in order to enjoy mountain biking. You need a bike and a trail. And you're gonna want a shop that is easily able to support you. If you bend the derailleur hangar on your Schwinn, you're gonna have to jump through a lot more hoops to find a replacement part. If the fork is in need of a rebuild, you'll end up having to buy another. Once those disc brake pads wear out, you'll probably need a whole new set of brakes. That has been the sad reality for many of the customers that thought they got a great deal on a bike. A lot of times, they have to drop another $50 after getting the bike just to have it reassembled properly. There's nothing that will make a bike fall apart faster than riding one with improperly adjusted bearings.

I'm sorry for constantly criticizing this bike. It's not out of elitism or snobbery, but the result of seeing sad and angry customers when they bought a bike like this, only to find the reality of the cost when they come in looking for service or replacement parts. That's tough, because you want them to feel like mountain biking is an accessible sport, but they feel like they've thrown away several hundred dollars and need to spend quite a bit just to get their bike in condition they thought it was in.
    Bikes:
    Mountain: Santa Cruz Blur
    Road: Trek Madone 5.2 SL
    Commuter: Sette Reken 1x9

mtbr member
    The Giant Rincon is probably more of a street bike. But if you are on a tight budget and for light trails it would work. It might not be affordable to make the switch to disc brakes. Make sure the wheels are disc brake compantable before you buy. If you have the patience and are willing travel say 75 miles you could expand your Craigslist search and wait for a bike that came up with a 27 speed drive train and disc brakes for $300 or less.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I've had my Costco-bought Ditch 3.0 for about 3 months now. I have broken 2 pedals and stripped off gear #6. It's a decent bike in some ways, but it didn't hold up like I thought it would. I agree that if you're looking for even a starter mountain bike, hold out for something from your local shop.

mtbr member
    I would really recommend the Forge, too.

Started off with it and have had no regrets since. Amazing bike for the price!