Thread: Bike Problems

mtbr member
    May 2013

Bike Problems

So, I just bought a brand new Felt Nine 80. I've had it for about 4 weeks now and I've had to take to the bike shop three times already. The first for my rear derailleur went into my spokes. Second my front derailleur keeps either hitting my tire in first gear and whenever they adjusted it it stopped unless I really pedal hard. Third was the same day as the second just later in the day after my ride. I was almost home and my rear gear adjustment screw broke. Now after taking the rear tire off to clean, once I put it back on the tire rubbed the front derailleur, i tried adjusting it and the chain just rubbed the heck out of the derailleur. I cant adjust it to where it doesn't do either.
    Do you have any experience in this problem if so what did you do? I heard maybe putting a smaller tire might help. I have a 29x2.2 and was thinking a 2.1. Any advise would help. If you need anymore details just ask. Thanks guys.

turtles make me hot
    It sounds like everything needs to be adjusted correctly.
    There are limit screws on the front derailleur that keep it from hitting the tire. It's probably not hitting the screw and the cable stretched a little, allowing the cage to come in closer to the tire.
    Same with the rear. It should not be getting in the spokes.
    Where'd you get this bike? Aahhh, maybe don't bring it back there.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Sounds like they did not adjust the limit screws correctly, take it back or find a new mechanic.

mtbr member
    Felt are pretty good bikes, I would think the tire is fine. The shop mechanic sounds like he is not doing his job, as the others have said its the limit screws. There are limit screws in the derailleur you set them at max points so the derailleur doesn't go into the wheels.

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Bike Problems

Sounds like you got a lemon, ship that bike to me and I'll dispose of it for you

Besides the lower limit screw . . . is the front d perfectly in line with the chain rings? At one point i kicked my heel into my front d on a drop and rotated it clockwise.

Also, if you only experience the problem only when pedaling hard, the rear wheel is flexing under load, combined with probably a little frame flex, which could mean:

a) rear wheel has some loose spokes,

b) wasn't set in the dropouts perfectly,

c) really loose quick release, both of which you probably would have corrected already,

or d) you are exceeding the performance capabilities of the wheel, and you need a stiffer, higher end wheel. These are good bikes but a tad towards the entry level end of the spectrum and you might start to outgrow it, this is the kind of stuff that starts to come up as you ride harder. I've never ridden one of these so some might refute that, but just a possibility that should be noted.

Hope that helps.
    ------------------------------------------------
    They're justified and they're ancient and they like to roam the land

mtbr member
    Sounds like they just slapped the bike together and put it on the floor. They need to fire that kid or you need a new bike shop.