Thread: Bike Plushness?

jddist
    May 2008

... and if we just ... Bike Plushness?

Looking the see what different people think are the technical factors that make a bike feel "Plush", keeping all things equal like same shock and travel of the bike. I am interested because after owning several of high end bikes in the quest for what I feel is the perfect bike for me, and constantly reading other's review of the same and different bikes, this is one trait that always comes up. My idea/definition of "Plush" is the way a bike feels when dropping off something like say a 3ft drop, and not necessarily how it is flying through a rock garden. That to me is how compliant it feels over square edge stuff. Plushness gives that bottomless feeling.

As an example, my firebird is great, very compliant, over rough rocky terrain, but doesn't feel very plush off anything like a 3 foot drop to flat. In contrast, My Yeti 7, and my 575 for that matter, are not that great on fast square hits but are super plush, bottomless feeling when it comes to drops and such. I also read a lot of people stating how the Nomad feels much plusher than the firebird while the bird pedals better. This is my experience also. Exact same shock is both cases with same settings. Both bikes have very similar suspension designs, same travel, and yet very different "plushness" feelings.

Is this due to how fast or slow it ramps up, progressive or regressive curve, .......?

What are your thoughts?

T.W.O.
    Yes, yes, yes. Have you tried sending your shock to Push Industry? That may be the answer to your prayer Plushness is different to different riders and their riding style but mainly I noticed it's the ability to absorb the shock big or small(er).

My version of a good feeling or plushness would be great on small bumps at the top seemless transition to mid and a good ramp up at the bottom, I told that to Push and they just delivered. My Rp23 on the Mojo felt just as good as the DHX air it replaced.

Everything being equal then the design would be the next to question. My Ellsworth Moment got me over many technical climbs than I expected because of the extra plushness and traction on the climb

Members who have read this thread: 0