mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Which bike - Giant XTC2 vs Scott Scale 60 v. Felt Q920

Hi

I'm looking at getting a new hard trail andcand decide on the above three bikes. Monday to Friday ill commute to work (only about 20km round tip) and weekend I'll hit a trail - nothing major though.

What's important to me:
    - good frame which is light
    - solid gearing
    - good fork with lockout.

I can pick the Felt ( had no experience with felts in the past however) up for 1500 bucks, whilst the Scott and Giant for 1650.

All 2010 models.

Can anyone give me some advice??

Thanks!!

Oh, I'm leaning towards the xtc.....

AZ
    banned
    Have you ridden all of them ? If you havent you really need to ride all of them . IMHO , I would buy the one that fit the best with the fewest changes . They are all good rides .

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    No I havent - I'll do that in the coming week or so. Just wanted to know everyones opinion on the bikes as I am coming from a roadie, and have minimal MTB experience.

BTW - the prices quoted are in Australian dollars.

Thanks

mtbr member
    I've riden Giant XTC....they weigh as much as the IRONHORSE...everything else seems fine.

You dont really need "lockout" (except if you climb so much)..id prefer a good rebound adjustment and control

- never riden a scots or felt..sorry so no comment on these. if you can get Elseworth or Intense or TREK then go for them....these are good for entry level and beyond......
    Damn if you do, Damn if you don't.....then JUST DO IT!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Pogi
    I've riden Giant XTC....they weigh as much as the IRONHORSE...everything else seems fine.

You dont really need "lockout" (except if you climb so much)..id prefer a good rebound adjustment and control
    Lockout is important to me as i'll be using it also as a commuter to work, hence wont need the suspension absorbing a lot of my energy when climbing hills etc. All MTB at the $1000+ level have lockout anyway so no issue there.

Re the weight - from what I have seen the XTC is about average / below average for this price point.........

Will look into Treks, but they seem overpriced given components on the bikes. What would a comparison be to the ones I quoted?

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    The Felt has rack mounts which can be useful on a commuter.

mtbr member
    try EX FUEL line - 5 or 6.5 will be more than excellent to your needs, again this is my opinion. Don't take my word for it..i say you ride it for a month and return it within warranty period if you don't feel like spending your bucks for it, then move to the next one. Apologize to the store manager and tell them your intent before you take the bike home for test ride. I do at least 4 hours of ride per bike before I actually buy it. If it doesn't feel good, i dont take it.

AZ
    banned
    try ..i say you ride it for a month and return it within warranty period if you don't feel like spending your bucks for it, then move to the next one.

Warranties dont cover you changing your mind , warranty covers manuf. defects and workmanship not your indecision .

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I rode the XTC 2 and the Scale 60 and Scale 50 today. I must say, I like the ride of the Scale frames! The XTC2 was nice, but felt a little more recreational in feel....Saying that, I still loved the XTC ride and could easily have that bike!

If it was the Scale's though I would be tempted to upgrade to the 50 given the better brakes and front fork (same as on the XTC)....however this is $2000, and extra $400 over the XTC 2 - is it worth it???

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'd have to say of the three, the XTC is my favorite. I haven't ridden the 2, but the 1 and Alliance both ride well, are at or below average in weight, and have very responsive handling. I haven't ridden the Q920, but I've tested a Q720(?) and thought it was heavy and sluggish. Scott's good, but a bit pricey compared to others, IMO. But, the most important thing is finding the one YOU like.
    '08 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc (Stolen). I hope you break both kneecaps of the jerk who stole you.

rollin
    Oct 2009
    To the OP, I would say you have already made up your mind. I have ridden the XTC 1 and demoed a Scott, both felt cramped in terms of cockpit space but thats my experience. Keep in mind that hardtails at this price range are great rides with similar setups. In the end it comes down to money, fit and components...choose the best complete package for what your wallet allows.

Regards,
    Chris

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Warranties dont cover you changing your mind , warranty covers manuf. defects and workmanship not your indecision .
    OK so it is...dependeng on what is in the fine print (do people actually read them??)

My point is, ride it first if the seller will allow you (most of them will). If you like it then buy it if not then dont take it and then move on. Bottom line you need to be satisfied in your purchase. Youre not buying a burger priced item which you can throw away if you did not like it..... you probably work for it and saved for it for a month.

AZ...you must be a dealership ey?? chachingnn!!

AZ
    banned

AZ...you must be a dealership ey?? chachingnn!!

No , just a very black and white view of right and wrong .

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

The XTC frame is LIGHT!

I can't speak for the other manufacturers frames, but I just managed to pick up a new 2010 XTC2 frame directly from Giant through my bike shop on a fluke. The frame with derailleur hanger and seat clamp installed was 3.2 lbs. That is crazy light for an aluminum frame. This is a frame worth buying and upgrading components as needed IMHO.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    QFT...I seriously hate people that do this. I rarely need my warranties because I shop smart and do my research PRIOR to purchase. However, now I am finding more and more when I want my warranty it's been shrunk to being nearly worthless.

I was part of a thread once where everyone talked about just buying an air bed and sheets from WalMart and return them when your guests go home....and another about the rapists that used Costco's electronics lifetime warranty to upgrade everytime something better came out. That was an awesome deal for the honest purchaser that's now been put into extinction.