mtbr member
    Oct 2013

bike decal painting question

so im getting a new frame, i am not wanting to strip paint or anything like that. All I want to do is paint over some manufacturer decals, in a different color. just some small lettering that is red, i would like to make blue.

I have red about people using nail polish for touch ups, is this something i should use? maybe some model cay/train paint? auto paint?

I want to eventually be able to remove it without damaging any original paint. I don't know how strong these paints all are, and how hard they are to get off. I have done vinyl stickers before, but they get scratched real easily, and become expensive replacing.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    46 views and noone has a thought or suggestion?

mtbr member
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

My little friends
    What you want to do is a bit difficult; you want to paint over a decal with a paint that will last, but you want to be able to remove it later without damaging the decal. I would try masking off the letters with masking tape, then spay over them with a Krylon or enamel type spray paint. Model or auto paints are fairly transparent, so you may not get the look you want. Those type paints would also be easier to remove later.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    how easily would the krylon or enamel come off at a later time? I was thinking nail polish because you should just be able to use nail polish remover to take it off correct? I just don't know how chitty that would look

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Automotive grade vinyl wrap.

Cheap to replace, and can get pretty much any design you want if you're willing to pay. A single color from an auto parts store should suffice though (think racing stripe decals for old camaro). The vinyl wrap they use on cars should be able to handle most of what you're experience on the trail. You could also apply a larger single color piece and paint it to your hearts content, then remove it all later.

mtbr member
    Talk to this guy, he seems to have a lock on your question! Home Grown Bike 17 Inchridden by The Homegrown Racing Team Last Time Selling It | eBay

sorry sorry, I just couldn't resist. That guy's been trying to sell that way over priced paint pen'ed homegrown with cheap parts for well over a year now.
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by shwinn8 View Post
    Talk to this guy, he seems to have a lock on your question! Home Grown Bike 17 Inchridden by The Homegrown Racing Team Last Time Selling It | eBay

sorry sorry, I just couldn't resist. That guy's been trying to sell that way over priced paint pen'ed homegrown with cheap parts for well over a year now.
    I like it... are those rhinestones? Im totally going to rhinestone my bike.

mtbr member
    There is a type of automotive coating/paint that is made to protect cars for long term storage but can be peeled off when desired that could fill the bill like a film. Not sure what it is called but it has been used in hollywood paint jobs for years due to it's removability but good looks.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    ^It's called Plasti-Dip...
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Plasti-dip? is it easy to use?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    There is this stuff. Might be acceptable if you wanted to paint over the top (rhinestones are awesome), but I believe there are better quality alternatives out there. Other manufacturers and the clear film one of the reviewers mentioned.

3M/Paint defender spray film (90000) | Protectant | AutoZone.com