mtbr member

Which bike companies offer lifetime warranties?

I already know that cannondale and trek do, but who else does? Im asking because I was shocked to find out that moots will not be helping me out with my cracked smoothie al, because "moots aluminum products only have a 2 year warranty". Whats up with that? What is arguably the best bike company in the world only trusts their product enough to warranty it for 2 years??? Come on thats not right!!!!
    Check out this organization that I ride with:
    www.r2rministry.org

http://www.facebook.com/destindanserphotography

Motion activated
    Giant
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Destin
    I already know that cannondale and trek do, but who else does? Im asking because I was shocked to find out that moots will not be helping me out with my cracked smoothie al, because "moots aluminum products only have a 2 year warranty". Whats up with that? What is arguably the best bike company in the world only trusts their product enough to warranty it for 2 years??? Come on thats not right!!!!
    Specialized is another company with a lifetime warranty. However, for full suspension bikes, the warranty is one year for linkage, bearings, and pivot points. It even sounds as though the swingarm is limited to a one year warranty. Read the details for yourself in the Specialized Warranty.

The Moots warranty is not all that unreasonable. The fact of the matter is that aluminum is just not that durable. (See Steel vs Aluminum for additional discussion.)

Larger manufacturers can afford to offer lifetime warranties because they know that a lot of the bikes that they sell will be underutilized. Some will spend most of their life collecting dust in a garage or basement. A company like Moots sells to enthusiasts who will put a lot more miles on the bike than the average bike sold by the larger outfits. The smaller outfits have to limit their risk by limiting their warranties.

The other way that all companies limit risk is by making the warranty apply only to the original purchaser. Folks who ride a lot often sell their bike every few years in order to purchase the latest model. Those second-hand buyers have no warranty coverage. If the bike has been ridden a lot, they're buying the bike at just about the point where it's ready to break.

Former Bike Wrench
    Specialized, Gary Fisher (Trek)

MTBR Member
    Fuji offers lifetime warranties on the frames.

Geaux ride!
    Suspension type plays a role in the warranty coverage too. Jamis has lifetime warranties for its HT's: http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/tech/warranty.html but not its full suspension models. Also all warranties don't extend past the original owner.
    -'08 Jamis Dragon Comp
    "Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary…that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I was pleasantly surprised to find that all those Bontrager parts on Treks and Gary Fishers have a 5 year warranty. New rim for my 2.5 year old rim with cracks.

EDR
    Kevin is correct. For full suspension mtb's Special-ed DOES NOT offer a lifetime warranty. They like you to think they do. They consider the rear triangle (complete with pivots/bearings) as part of the suspension and not part of the "frame", and it only carries a 1 year warranty.

See the blue below...

LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY ON BICYCLE FRAMES AND FRAMESETS
    The lifetime limited warranty is conditioned upon the bicycle being operated under normal conditions and use, and properly maintained. This limited warranty does not apply to paint/finish or components attached to the bicycle/frameset such as front forks, wheels, drive train, brakes, seatpost, handlebar and stem or any suspension related parts or components. Paint/finish, components attached to the bicycle/ frameset such as front forks, wheels, drive train, brakes, seatpost, handlebar and stem or any suspension related parts or components are covered under the limited one (1) year warranty.

LIMITED ONE (1) YEAR WARRANTY ON SUSPENSION ATTACHMENTS & SUSPENSION RELATED EQUIPMENT
    Also subject to the following limitations, terms and conditions, Specialized warrants to the original owner of each new Specialized
    bicycle or frameset that the suspension attachment points, and suspension related equipment (including pivot points, bushings,
    shock units, front suspension forks, chain stays and seat stays, shock links, fasteners) when new are free of defective materials or
    workmanship. This warranty shall expire one (1) year from the date of the original purchase from an authorized....
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 08-12-2009 at 01:28 PM.

Singletrack Slayer
    Ah, most companies offer a limited lifetime warrany on hardtail frames and every company has different warranties on highend race bikes and fs bikes. ie my old Homegrown had a 5 yrs on it and my taiwan moab had a lifetime warranty. Some of the highend companies like Moots offers less warranty because there frame is as light as can be and designed to be raced. A defect vs abuse can sometimes be a shaddy line. Sucks to hear the bad news.