mtbr member
    May 2013

bike for commuting and credit card touring

Hi forum, please help me make a decision. I am in for a new bike. I commute around 25km a day. Through city centre, then paved roads, then perhaps 1-2 km of dirt road (that turns into ice in winter). These are my criteria:

1. Preferably steel. Not a strong preference, it is just that I have never had one, only aluminium, and I am curious having read all the benefits a steel bike gives you.

2. It absolutely needs to have possibility to have rack/panniers on the back sides. Front not so important.

3. It needs to accommodate wide tyres, so I can put spoked wheels in winter (I live in Finland). I believe the smallest size these winter wheel come in is 33 wide tyres.

4. I will never enter any race of any kind, wont ever cyclocross, and I dont have any friends with carbon bikes who cycle whom I can 'race' with or go in pelotons. I want this bike to be comfortable (one reason I wanted to try steel) but under no means sacrifice the ability to go fast. I don't want to feel I am dragging an anchor when I cycle.

5. Very occasionally (perhaps once a year, two maximum), I might credit card tour , no longer than 2-3 days).

I have narrowed it down to bikes that are available to test ride where I live, and that fall under my budget, they are:

Surly Cross Check
    Salsa Vaya 2
    Kona Honky Tonk (purely on looks this gets my vote)
    Kona Jack the Snake (alum).

- There are also some local brands, like Pelago and Rossano that make steel sport tourers, but I doubt they are heard of where you live, and reviews in english are scarce.

Can we discount any of these list straight away? What would you recommend?

FKA Malibu412
    Cross Check
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams