mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Which bike to choose

Hello to everyone

I'm looking for a new vehicle for school/work trip and also for hobbies. My usual trip is around 10 kilometers per day, mostly on plated surfaces. Sometimes I take myself to forest, riding fast and rough paths.
    So, I've been wondering which type of bike would suit me the best, a hardtail of fullsuspension? I weight around 220 lbs and I tend to drive fast no matter how rough the terrain is.

Here's a few candidates I've been thinking of:

Trek 8500 2009
    Price from local supplier 1800 €.

Trek 8000 2009
    Local supplier, 1350 €.

Trek 6700 2008
    Local supplier, 1150 €.

Radon ZR RACE 10.0
    From abroad, 1899 € plus dispatching costs.

Radon QLT Race 7.0
    Abroad, 1599 € plus dispatching costs.

Radon QLT Race 4.0
    Abroad, 999 € plus dispatch.

Dispatch costs for Radons are about 55 €. I would need to wait for the bike 2-4 weeks also.

Absolute limit for budget is around 2000 € as I need to get some gear too.
    I rode trek 6700, 19,5" size and geometries felt very nice. Can't testride radons since they are one store exclusive bikes.

Opinions on these bikes are welcome, I'm open to other options too as long as they can be ordered inside EU.

Thanks
    dfan

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    It sounds like a hardtail is best for you. I haven't heard of Radon, but I know Trek makes great bikes. If you like the geometry and can afford it, I recommend buying the 8500...the nicer component package will keep you from wanting upgrades later.

If you get a chance to ride bikes from other manufacturers, go for it; you may find a bike that feels even better to you than the Trek.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Yeah, there would be no surprises with trek. However Radons have much better parts compared to price, that's why they keep interesting me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    look at cube too. if they had those in the states I'd look at them myself.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro
    look at cube too. if they had those in the states I'd look at them myself.
    From what I've understood, Radon and Cube are very much alike. I think even the frames are same, however Radon is cheaper from these two.