mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Bike choice advice

Hi all, I'm looking to buy the first mountain bike I'll have had in about 15 years. I'm on a cycle scheme voucher and looking to spend slightly more than £1k to get something a bit above mid-level. Initially whittled my choice down to the following:

Breezer Lightning Team 2012 Mountain Bike | Evans Cycles

BMC Teamelite TE02 SLX/XT 2012 Mountain Bike | Evans Cycles

Component specs look very good but I've never really heard of either of these two brands. I'm not going to be going hard, mostly finding my offroad legs on country trails and xc exploring. I'm a big guy at 6'3 and 230lbs in reasonable fitness, don't want something too lean forward/aggressive.

Also slightly concerned about the breezer as it looks like a steel frame. Does that mean v heavy? Any advice much appreciated!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Soleith View Post
    Hi all, I'm looking to buy the first mountain bike I'll have had in about 15 years. I'm on a cycle scheme voucher and looking to spend slightly more than £1k to get something a bit above mid-level. Initially whittled my choice down to the following:

Breezer Lightning Team 2012 Mountain Bike | Evans Cycles

BMC Teamelite TE02 SLX/XT 2012 Mountain Bike | Evans Cycles

Component specs look very good but I've never really heard of either of these two brands. I'm not going to be going hard, mostly finding my offroad legs on country trails and xc exploring. I'm a big guy at 6'3 and 230lbs in reasonable fitness, don't want something too lean forward/aggressive.

Also slightly concerned about the breezer as it looks like a steel frame. Does that mean v heavy? Any advice much appreciated!
    Breezer is an American brand started by Joe Breeze. Joe Breeze, along with Gary Fisher, Tom Ritchey, Keith Bontrager, and a bunch of other guys (and gals) in Marin County California pretty much invented mountain biking in the 70's. Joe Breeze welded the first dedicated "mountain bike" frame in 1979. So Breezer has plenty of pedigree, if that's what you're concerned about. At least on this side of the Atlantic. Modern Breezers are made in Asia, like pretty much everything else these days, but have a great reputation for good frame design. That steel frame is good quality steel. It might be a little heavier than aluminum, but will ride much smoother.

BMC is a German brand, but that's all I know about it. BMC is not commonly available in America.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er