mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Bike Build Questions

I'm looking at the XX1 crank with Shimano XT Rear DR.

- How do I know which Q Factor to use?

- Would someone please explain the difference in DynaSys/Shadow/Shadow Plus? It's all very confusing to me.
    I just want the new type DR with the clutch. Can probably get by with short cage for 1 x 10?

- XT shifters - Not sure which one to use. Don't need indicator and not sure about integrating with brake lever.

- Want to use XT brakes but not sure about the different models of levers.

Thanks

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Bike Build Questions

- How do I know which Q Factor to use?

A: If your bike will accept it you usually want the narrower 156. Narrower stance is more natural and gives you more power. But, that may have clearance issues. Search the forum for your frame + 156 or q156 or q-156 and see if anyone has gone through this.

- Would someone please explain the difference in DynaSys/Shadow/Shadow Plus? It's all very confusing to me.
    I just want the new type DR with the clutch. Can probably get by with short cage for 1 x 10?

A: the 'Shadow plus' is the only one with the clutch. Shadow (before shadow plus) was their low profile innovation, it doesn't stick out as much. Plus adds the clutch. As for cage length, each derailleur has a 'range', the difference in teeth that the derailleur can take up. Since you're running 1x in front, the range is just the difference between you low and high gear for example 36-11 = 25 teeth. Check the sticky at the top of the drivetrain forum on cage length for detail.

- XT shifters - Not sure which one to use. Don't need indicator and not sure about integrating with brake lever.

A: Just make sure the speeds on the shifter matches the speeds on your cassette. And if you're 10sp in back, you need the 10sp xt derailleur as well.

Hope that helps.

Sent from (redacted by nsa)

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks for the reply.