mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Bike on a budget recomendations

Im looking to do some trail riding through some rolling hill areas (Central Louisiana). I can't justify spending 3K for one bike. Im thinking 500-1,000. Are there any full suspension setups that are any good with a budget like that?

Im 5' 10" 190lbs. 27 yrs.

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    New? Only if you spend all of your budget, and even then, you'll only be getting an entry-level FS, like Giant's Yukon FX.

You might find a better frame/components combination if you go the used route, but that has its inherent risks. Buying online from a direct retailer is another option, but it also can have its drawbacks.

Will this be your first mountain bike? Are you just starting out?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Just starting.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Do the exspensive bike really ride that much better? Is the durabillity?

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    If you're just starting, I'd recommend staying within the budget you gave above and buying a hardtail rather than a full-suspension bike. For one, you will develop a better skillset on the hardtail. Two, you'll be able to buy a better hardtail than a FS at the same price.

Generally speaking, more expensive bikes offer a better ride and superior durability while also weighing less--at least until you get into the super-light racing builds, which sacrifice some durability for weight savings.

An $800 hardtail should have a much nicer fork than a $300 one. By "nicer," I mean it is more adjustable and does a better job of soaking up energy than lower-end forks.

As for what to buy, your options are virtually endless. I would recommend you visit all the local bike shops in your area and see what they have to offer. Don't be afraid to haggle and be ready to walk away if you don't feel they are eager enough to win your business.

For new bikes, you could also check out online retailers like bikesdirect.com, pricepoint.com, and jensonusa.com. These sources often offer the best "bang for the buck" but be advised that you cannot test ride for fit a bike you purchase online. They also require some minor assembly and will almost certainly need to be tuned up/dialed in.

Be sure to reserve a portion of your budget for a helmet, a bike tool, a hand pump, a couple of spare tubes, and some tire levers. Front and rear LEDs are also advisable, especially if you plan to ride your bike around town.

When purchasing a bike, a popular rule of thumb is to buy the best one you can afford, the reason behind that being it will take you longer to outgrow it or feel the need to upgrade it. In your case, however, I recommend staying within your proposed budget since you are new to the sport and there's no guarantee you will fall in love with it like most of us on this forum.

Good luck and happy trails,

HP

mtbr member
    May 2007
    agreed.

hardtail is better for new riders. FS are all different and you don't know what type of riding you like yet.

I also agree with getting the bike with the best fork you can. The fork is a very expensive part of the bike. All other parts can be replaced, but after market forks aren't cheap; just look at the prices on any Fox fork lately.

mtbr member
    look for blowout bikes from 1 or 2 years ago. I.E. Jenson USA currently has a medium sized Jamis XCT with pretty darned solid parts spec for hair over $1,000. Brick and Mortar bike shops also often have leftovers. Some are more willing to part with them than others. See what you can work out