mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Bike for BC Bike Race, what to get/use? 26 vs 29?

Hi Guys,

I am hoping to plumb the depth of your experience. I plan on doing the BC Bike Race next year (www.bcbikerace.com). My goal is to finish the race intact and having enjoyed the experience.

While I have not ridden North Shore, I enjoy single track and mostly ride around Southern California. The Gran Fondo at Sea Otter, confirmed what I already knew, my Kona Fire Mountain is not the bike for the BCBR.

My budget is about $2000, may be a slight bit more. Originally I was looking for a 100-120 travel 29er.

Favorite bike demoed is the Santa Cruz Tallboy, but I can only afford the Aluminum version with the Deore package when it comes out later this year.

Leading candidate is a Rocky Mountain Altitude 50 RSL (http://www.bikes.com/main+en+01_102+...CATID=3&Y=2010) with SLX/XT bits.

Second candidate is a new 2008 Specialized Stumpjumper Pro that a LBS has stocked away. (http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...2&menuItemId=0)

I might be able to get a Giant Anthem X 2, but it's a bit of a long shot requiring further budget stretch and a very nice bike dealer.

The Salsa Spearfish is also an option, but I would prefer a RP23 shock for this one.

What do you guys suggest? Any recommendations from BC Bike Racers carry added weight.

Thanks!

Stiff yet compliant
    This seller has the Spearfish with RP23 upgrade for a few hundred dollars more.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for the heads up MR.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Why not get the Anthem 29er X3? The list price is $2,349 and you can probably get at least 10 or 15% off, depending upon your negotiation skills:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-ca/....3/8085/46579/

Spec wise it's unbeatable at that price point:

1. 15mm T/A FOX Fork
    2. Tapered headtube
    3. Fox Boostvalve (this is the feature that saves you when you take a 3 foot jump)
    4. Shimano Dynasys Ten Speed Drive Train

The Stumpjumper and Altitude have various drawbacks versus the Giant

1. No Thru Axle fork on the Stumpjumper
    2, No boost valve on the Stumpjumper
    3. No tapered headtube for the Stumper
    4. No 10 speed drive train

The Rocky Mountain has Fewer Drawbacks

1. No Tapered headtube
    2. No 10 speed drive train

However the tapered headtube is the biggst drawback on the Rocky Mountain, all manufacturers are moving to using tapered forks for increase chasis stiffness and rigidity. This what you want when you're descending through Rock Gardens or whatever crazy obstacles you might have.