mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Bike advice (thread # eleventy billion)

I started out mountain biking and did it for years. Had a bad wreck and started racing TT (Cervelo P2C) on the road. I still do that but miss riding trails so I picked up my Trek Liquid (only thing original is the frame and the rear shock) and discovered that I no longer enjoy riding it. Its too small, bobs, brake jacks and the chain slap is prodigious. I could over look the faults if the thing fit me, which it no longer does. When I bought it in '03, it was the right size. Now, not so much. Since Ive been out of the MTB world for a couple of years, I am pretty impressed at what has developed and at the same time, completely overwhelmed by the choices.

What I am looking for is something that will fit my tall, skinny frame so an XL (21" is a must). I went on Competitive Cyclists site and got some suggestions as to what I should be looking for, sizing wise:
    Stand over: 33.4- 34.1 (inseam is 35.5")
    Top tube: 25.4- 25.8 (Im 6' 4" with long arms)

I live in Virginia and ride around here and West Virginia. My sister just bought a place in Colorado so I plan on taking some trips out there to ride as well. Va/ WVa riding is muddy, rooty, rocky and can be pretty technical so I am thinking that something in the 5.5" rear travel range would be perfect. Im not going to be doing regular drops or jumps but do enjoy a good downhill section and a good climb to the top. I will however take a skills class at a resort to get back to where I once was though with bike handling and positioning (but not freeriding). With that being said, Im not looking to get another Trek or a Specialized. Had them both and they are/ were great but now I am wanting to support a smaller brand. 26 or 29, it doesnt really matter (the Tallboy looks pretty good). Available as a kit or as a frame, doesnt really matter as I can build up a bike.

So, help? Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    If Ventana doesn't have stock sizes that will fit, a small semi-custom charge will get you exactly what you want. Being a smaller brand, you'll even be able to talk with the owner.

El Ciclón | Ventana Mountain Bikes USA

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for the reply. I had completely forgotten about Ventana. Any other suggestions? Weight is relatively important as well.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    you could look at Banshee Spitfire. Seems close to what you are looking for. They are a pretty small, but great company with excellent service and warranty

Members who have read this thread: 0