Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

best xc full suspension bikes for around $2,000?

18K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Shawnskee22 
#1 ·
I test rode the giant anthem x3 and trance x3. I think my riding is better suited for the trance (trail bike) than the anthem (cross country), but I am so used to my giant xtc 2 that my body positioning on the trance just felt REALLY weird. I preferred the more competitive positioning of the anthem where I leaned forward more, even though I really likely never actually race in my life.

Any thoughts on if this will go away? I'll get used to it and be happy I did? - IF I went ahead and got the bike better suited to my trail riding.

If not, and I should go with what feels good now, what is the best full suspension bike out there for $2,000 or less after discounts due to getting rid of the 2009 models?

Also, I like to ride my bike around on the dirt roads a lot for exercise, it seems a xc bike positioning would be better than the trail bike positioning. Any thoughts on this too?

I appreciate any and all suggestions of what I should look at.

Thanks.

#2 ·
Your position on any type of bike can be adjusted to suit what you like. Lots of guys here have taken Anthem X's and put wide high rise bars and set them up as trail bikes. A few guys have take all of the head set spacers and the cone spacer off the top of the Trance X headset and easily achieved a streched out cross counrty postion.

Any good bike shop can take some mesurements off your XTC and exactly duplicate your existing position on any new bike within a few millimeters.

That said keep in mind that XC bikes are set up (low front and weight forward) for max speed up hills and on twisty trails. Trail bikes are set up (weight back and high front) for more relaxed handling and for sure footedness on downhills and drops. Ask your self what you are going to do with the bike and get the one that best fits you needs...then adjust your position on that bike.

#3 ·
purplesunrise said:
This Blog
The Web
This Blog

The Web

Is the new 2009 Giant Anthem X3 the best value in a new, entry level, full-suspension mountain bike?

Last week, I got a call from a friend who needed a mountain bike for yesterday's 100km Mountain Bike Marathon. I scouted for used bikes and local bike shops for light, all-round trail bike with a cross-country race geometry and the new Giant Anthem X3 seems very good value. The problem was that the bike is so new that there aren't any reviews out yet. Nevertheless, I straddled one and took it around the block.
voiture simulation de credit immobilier en ligne - Simulation credit immobilier en ligne. L'Internet a rendu encore plus facile d'obtenir de l'aide pour trouver le credit immobilier.
lol wut?

#4 ·
purplesunrise said:
This Blog
The Web
This Blog

The Web

Is the new 2009 Giant Anthem X3 the best value in a new, entry level, full-suspension mountain bike?

Last week, I got a call from a friend who needed a mountain bike for yesterday's 100km Mountain Bike Marathon. I scouted for used bikes and local bike shops for light, all-round trail bike with a cross-country race geometry and the new Giant Anthem X3 seems very good value. The problem was that the bike is so new that there aren't any reviews out yet. Nevertheless, I straddled one and took it around the block.
voiture simulation de credit immobilier en ligne - Simulation credit immobilier en ligne. L'Internet a rendu encore plus facile d'obtenir de l'aide pour trouver le credit immobilier.
The Anthem X3 is an awesome deal.

There are tons of Anthem X reviews on line. Mostly for the X0, X1 and X2. The X3 has the same fork and shock as the X2 so X2 reviews are the best ones to check out.

#6 ·
You can look for a 22lb Trek Top Fuel SL with the world cup carbon steerer fork and the 90mm rear shock by Manitou. The price should've dropped considerably from the $6,900 astronomical price tag it came with. Has carbon, everywhere. Frame was made in Waterloo, Wisconsin, but it's quite rare, did find one on ebay just now under the title: "21.5 Trek Top Fuel SL Carbon Fiber Full Suspension Bike"

#7 ·
illnacord said:
You can look for a 22lb Trek Top Fuel SL with the world cup carbon steerer fork and the 90mm rear shock by Manitou. The price should've dropped considerably from the $6,900 astronomical price tag it came with. Has carbon, everywhere. Frame was made in Waterloo, Wisconsin, but it's quite rare, did find one on ebay just now under the title: "21.5 Trek Top Fuel SL Carbon Fiber Full Suspension Bike"

That Trek is light but the rear suspension was aweful. Not even Trek still uses that design.

I googled the Trance X3 and found a shop selling them for $1550.

2009 Trance X2's can be had for as low as $2250.

#8 ·
#9 ·
the trancex is setup from the factory in a ridiculous manner. it has a TON of spacers on it and the bars are sky high. i was extremely turned off from it on my first test ride.. i got to thinking about the setup after trying other bikes and realized how awkward the giant was setup.. got the lbs to let me lower the stem and give it a ride again..

felt like a whole different bike! felt.. right! get the lbs to lower the stem for a test ride, i think you'll feel what felt.

#10 ·
tomsmoto said:
the trancex is setup from the factory in a ridiculous manner. it has a TON of spacers on it and the bars are sky high. i was extremely turned off from it on my first test ride.. i got to thinking about the setup after trying other bikes and realized how awkward the giant was setup.. got the lbs to let me lower the stem and give it a ride again..

felt like a whole different bike! felt.. right! get the lbs to lower the stem for a test ride, i think you'll feel what felt.
Yeah, they have to do that though. You can always remove spacers and shorten the steerer but you can't add them or make it longer if it is too short. They also have to make sure the bike is comfy for the fat posers that buy them just to ride around their subdivisions.

#12 ·
Its always tough to ask for opinions on the best of anything. Everyone, including myself, tend to be more bias towards certain manufacturers and brands. There are plenty of great XC bikes out there for under $2000.00, but if your preference is a Giant, then I'd stay stick with the Anthem. Its a great bike. I'm a Rocky Mountain and Marin guy so my suggestions would be one of those. From a non-bias standpoint, I really really like the Airborne Hobgloblin 29er and for $1800, you're getting a new 2013 model with a decent gruppo. The catch is they ship it to you in pieces and you have to put the bike together from scratch. I mean everything from the headset to the BB. If you have all the tools and know-how, its an awesome deal.

#13 ·
Yeah I love my Anthem, have had it for a while now. Personally I have a very strong commitment to supporting local shops as well so the online deals sites and such I don't shop at much. I would rather support our local MTB community and support those that make events and races here happen.

I have heard good things about the Hobgoblin though. Also an awesome paint job. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.