mtbr member
    May 2011

Best Used bike I can get for under $500?

I have about 400 bucks for a bike. I used to ride a Specialized Rockhopper Comp FS and I liked it. I want a good bike thats light with good components. I would prefer an upgradeable platform where I could spend money every month or so on upgrades and end up with a really nice bike. So I am thinking a good used bike is the ticket. One with a good solid frame that I can upgrade all the other components a bit at a time. I have no idea what was a good brand, what would be too old to upgrade into a nice bike and what to look out for when looking. Thanks! My brother has an older Team Zasker he likes alot, and like I said the Rockhopper I had was very solid. What models are great values that are still modern enough to upgrade to a great spec'd bike?

jrhone

Omnipotent
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhone
    I have about 400 bucks for a bike. I used to ride a Specialized Rockhopper Comp FS and I liked it. I want a good bike thats light with good components. I would prefer an upgradeable platform where I could spend money every month or so on upgrades and end up with a really nice bike. So I am thinking a good used bike is the ticket. One with a good solid frame that I can upgrade all the other components a bit at a time. I have no idea what was a good brand, what would be too old to upgrade into a nice bike and what to look out for when looking. Thanks! My brother has an older Team Zasker he likes alot, and like I said the Rockhopper I had was very solid. What models are great values that are still modern enough to upgrade to a great spec'd bike?

jrhone

I too am looking for a solid used mtb, but my budget is about double yours and I'm still finding it hard to find deals on e-bay/CL... To be honest, people are stupid and will bid whatever they can afford, regardless of ripping themselves off with old, beaten bikes lol...

Look for older Giant, trek, Specialized, K2, Gary Fisher... I think your best bet for the buck would be to simply buy a frame and build it up... Below $700 (and that's a stretch too), there isn't anything you ought to invest in. The bikes will be OLD as dirt, abused, HEAVY, and so out of date, that any pedaling out of the saddle w/o an expensive shock = terrible! You'd be better off with a HT... I don't know why sellers/bidders think at USED, non-warrantied, 5-6-7-8yr old bike is still worth 1/2 of what they initially got ripped off paying for new.

Good luck man... we'll both need it.

DynoDon
    I'd get a good fitting, comfortable used bike, at that price, ride it, repair as needed, save, park the old one in the corner as a spare/loaner, then buy, or build the bike I wanted in the first place, upgrading gets expensive real fast. While your saving up you may find a smoking deal on a great bike too. Good Luck

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Oh forgot to mention I am looking for a hardtail.

Omnipotent
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhone
    Oh forgot to mention I am looking for a hardtail.
    Oh don't worry, there's plenty of idiots out there over-bidding on HTs as well... These days "deals" are more like "lottery."